View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #34
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Around the League

A look at the roster moves of other eNFL GM's:

Code:
Renegotiations: N.O. T Colin Rogers turned down a 3 year, $22m deal. PHI signed WR Andre Johnson to a 6 year, $70m deal. CLE CB Courtney Francis turned down a 6 year, $39m deal. Free Agent Signings: NE signed K Olindo Mare to a 3 year, $9.75m deal. NYG signed G Joe Andruzzi to a 3 year, $23.5m deal. DEN signed DE Tyrone Rogers to a 3 year, $8m deal. TEN resigns CB Deltha O'Neal to a 3 year, $3.7m deal. MIN signs S Colin Branch to a 5 year, $25m deal. MIA signs CB Irv Petigout to a 4 year, $6.5m deal. NYJ signs WR Mushin Muhammed to a 2 year, $10m deal. SD signs K Mike Vanderjagt to a 3 year, $11m deal. CHI signs CB Jerry Azumah to a 3 year, $5m deal. MIN signs CB Nnamdi Asimugha to a 3 year, $11m deal. ARI signs QB Glen Tucker to a 4 year, $31m deal. KC signs WR Antonio Freeman to a 2 year, $5.2m deal. SF signs MLB Larry Foote to a 2 year, $6.6m deal. KC signs RB Sultan McCullough to a 3 year, $7.6m deal. TB signs T Tony Pashos to a 4 year, $18.5m deal. MIA signs G Dave Diehl to a 3 year, $10m deal. DEN signs S Tony Dixon to a 3 year, $8m deal. KC signs K John Kasay to a 2 year, $4m deal. KC signs DT Ellis Johnson to a 2 year, $5.2m deal. Trades Detroit gets WR Donald Driver and 2009 2nd round pick. Green Bay gets FB Van Hancock, CB Shawn Springs, and 2009 1st round pick. New England gets MLB Robert Thomas. New Orleans gets 2009 5th round pick, 2010 3rd round pick, and 2010 5th round pick.

OK. From the top.

N.O. is doing the smart thing in opening negotiations with their stud LT. Signing him also frees up the franchise tag for Carr, assuming they don't sign him longterm. Still cap hell next year, but better than letting a tackle like that walk scott free. Of course, they still need to get him to agree to a deal.

GM EaglesFan27 explains his huge money signing of WR Johnson, saying, "Andre has become a premier wide receiver, and I believe our core of WR's with Donovan throwing to them were key to our success last year. Since Andre was so young, we threw the big bucks at him. I feel that he and Jacobs along with a good third receiver will continue to lead to success. I am now assured that we will keep this trio together for at least the next 5 years."

What he fails to mention is how badly an injury can cripple his cap. Andre signed a deal with a $20m signing bonus! Taylor Jacobs renegotiated his deal, with a $15m bonus, on top of a $12m bonus last season. I don't know who the 3rd person EF speaks of in the "trio" locked up for the next 5 years, but I assume he means he will sign McNabb to a huge deal soon.

And CB Francis has turned down his 2nd offer from CLE. He is a premiere CB, and will be paid like one. No way around that.

In free agent news, we saw a number of signings that should effect the upcoming draft. Denver's signing of a safety (Dixon) and DE (Rogers) should remove their interest in adding to either position with their 2 high first rounders. Minn added a CB (Asimugha) and S (Branch), on top of their trade for S Jackson. I wouldn't expect them to look for secondary help at the top of the draft. Tenn resigned a CB (O'Neal), but I don't think that should stop them from looking at help there in the draft. And the Giants added a guard, for too much money in my book, and that should turn their attention away from the 2 top guards in the draft, should one fall to them.

Also, SF may not be looking MLB anymore, since they added MLB Foote in a 2 year deal. However, I don't like the signing bonus - over $4m!

The kickers carosel is in full effect. The Chiefs lost the excellent Mare to NE, who in turn watched their old kicker, Kasay, go to the Chiefs. The Giants stole Stover from Baltimore, who as always, have done absolutely nothing in free agency. And Indy and SD swapped kickers. Vanderjagt is a Charger, Elling a Colt.

TB added a true road-grader RT in Pashos (another loss Balt has done nothing to prevent. They didn't even bid!) But TB already had a good RT in Roehl, so unless someone is moving inside to guard, I don't get it.

And speaking of not getting it, the Jets continue to add veterans I don't think they need. This time it's WR Muhammed, who will battle with Bannister, Chrebet, and Moss for playing time.

Arizona locked up their QB of the future in Glen Tucker. Other GM's publicly announced their disdain for Tucker, saying his poor results last season scared them off. Which makes life easier for the Cards. They got a great 5th year QB, and didn't even have to get into a bidding war to land him.

And after publicly complaining about a free agent dry spell, the Chiefs went on a bonanza, adding 6 players, many of whom I like. DT Ellis in particular was a good signing. He will anchor the Chiefs line, and weaken Atl's all at the same time. A nice bonus for us NFC-ers. Out of desperation, the Chiefs added over the hill WR Freeman, but someone has to start there. Look for KC to go WR in the first round.

And now the trades.

Detroit gets WR Donald Driver and 2009 2nd round pick.
Green Bay gets FB Van Hancock, CB Shawn Springs, and 2009 1st round pick.

Interesting intra-division trade. GB replaces their retired FB, while upgrading their secondary, and moving up a round in next years draft. Meanwhile, Detroit adds the best WR, numberswise, in eNFL history, and adds an extra 2nd rounder. I'll give the win to Detroit here. They only dropped 1 round, picked up the stud player, have already signed a replacement for FB Hancock, and give up an aging CB who didn't even start half the year in Detroit last year.

New England gets MLB Robert Thomas.
New Orleans gets 2009 5th round pick, 2010 3rd round pick, and 2010 5th round pick.

And former Ram MLB Robert Thomas (the matchbox20 singer?) is on the move. N.O. cuts some salary, and picks up some 2010 draft picks, when they expect to be able to afford some rookies again. The 3rd is nice. Overall, the picks are equal to a very late first, maybe high 2nd round pick, which is excellent value for the MLB.

Phew! What a week in the eNFL. Here comes the draft! Yes!
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote