View Single Post
Old 04-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #31
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Thanks for checking in, fellow eNFL-ers. makes it easier to do, knowing you guys are following. lets get on with the show.

Free Agency Week 2

Well, now we are getting somewhere! HUGE transactions this week. Lets take a look:

Code:
Renegotiations: ATL renegotiates Vick - 6 years, $59mil PHI had McNabb turn down a 6 year, $115m contract! SD renegotiates Brees - 4 year, $25mil Free Agents: NO signs S Lynch - 2 year, $10m NYJ sign DT Young - 2 year, $7m DEN signs WR Harrison - 2 year, $8m IND signs DE Ellis - 3 year, $13m SEA signs S Schulters - 4 year, $21m NO signs DE Abraham - 3 year, $45m NO signs DE Freeney - 4 year, $53m GB signs WR Bryant - 1 year, $3m TB signs G Holland - 5 year, $20m IND signs DE Sanders - 2 year, $8m Trades: Minnesota gets 2008 3rd round pick. Seattle gets T Willie Roaf and a 2009 6th round pick conditional on Roaf's retirement after one season. Cleveland gets WR Randy Moss and 2008 4th round pick. Minnesota gets LB Chaun Thompson, 2008 7th round pick, and 2009 1st round pick. Cincinnati gets RB Onterrio Smith. Minnesota gets 2008 1st round pick and 2009 first round pick. Minnesota gets 2009 1st round pick. New Orleans gets T Backus, WR Bruce, and 2009 4th round pick.

Going down the list:

QB's are the single most important thing in the game. ATL and PHI have 2 of the best, and they are looking to be paid that way. ATL has committed a ton of signing bonuses to Vick, so they have to hope he stays healthy. McNabb looks well on his way to crippling the Eagles cap situation, but who else could they play there? And great signing by SD, nabbing Brees cheap after a career year.

As far as free agency, I wonder if NO meant to sign both DE's. Coupled with a DE signing in week 1 of free agency, I have to assume this is a mistake. They are in a world of cap trouble next year. They have already committed about $100m to next years cap (once you figure in rookies and such), and dont have their franchise QB or LT signed beyond this season. Ouch! But what a defensive upgrade this week. They should be trouble this year.

On the flip side, the Colts added 2 replacement DE's, for quite cheap, comparitively speaking. As predicted here, Mitchell Sanders will line up at defensive end in Indy this year. Don't expect anywhere near the production from DE they are accustomed to this season, but the dropoff wont be horrible. Ellis is a nice player, though aging.

I don't understand the Jets signing of DT Young. They already have 3 solid DT's. Money poorly spent there.

Love the signing of Harrison in Denver. He will help Bullock out a lot, and pairs up nicely with Peoples at WR. Take Denver's name off the "needs a WR in the draft" list.

GB helped replace franchise WR Driver, who has been traded (details coming next week). Bryant is fine, but only signed for 1 year. I'd think GB would look to a WR in the draft this season.

TB nabbed a fine guard in Holland. Maybe this is insurance in case their own G, Lemmery, is released in a rules violation penalty (his contract doubles from the 2nd season to 3rd, an eNFL no-no)? Regardless, solid guard, though he's being paid like a tackle.

And Seattle added an expensive safety. Schulters is solid, but aging. He replaces Lynch, who is even older, though. Bit too much money in my book, but he should thrive in the northwest.

And then Minnesota gutted their team. Trades are my favorite thing to analyze, so excuse me if i get carried away:

Minnesota gets 2008 3rd round pick.
Seattle gets T Willie Roaf and a 2009 6th round pick conditional on Roaf's retirement after one season.

Essentially a rent-a-player deal. I don't get the 6th rounder. I guess Seattle gets a 6th if Roaf quits after this season? A 3rd seems right. Minnesota doesn't need him, really, and will need the picks to re-tool the team. Coupled with a trade of another T this week, you'd have to think Minn will look towards the draft to rebuild the o-line.

Cleveland gets WR Randy Moss and 2008 4th round pick.
Minnesota gets LB Chaun Thompson, 2008 7th round pick, and 2009 1st round pick.

One of the best AFC teams gets even better, though it cost them a lot. Thompson is a very solid LB, who got caught in a logjam. He should do very well in Minn, where either he or SLB Rogers will slide inside to MLB. Cleveland gets a top WR at a very cheap price for 5 more years. No downside there. Look for the first rounder to be a late 1st. Overall, a win for both teams. If Minn wasn't in full-blown rebuilding mode, I wouldn't like the deal. But coupled with other trades, what good would Moss have done on their roster?

Cincinnati gets RB Onterrio Smith.
Minnesota gets 2008 1st round pick and 2009 first round pick.

I rate this as a huge win for Minn. Smith thrived in a system built for him, and his numbers benefited from a lack of a passing game, since Culpepper was out all year. Now he wants a 5 year, $65m deal, according to my sources. It'd be a wash if Smith was a year or 2 younger, and $40m cheaper.

Minnesota gets 2009 1st round pick.
New Orleans gets T Backus, WR Bruce, and 2009 4th round pick.

What a week for NO. They land a great run blocking RT here, who is signed at a decent deal for 3 more years. And if Bruce doesn't retire, they have an amazing set of WRs. Plus, what do they need a first rounder next year for? They can't afford it, anyway.

And just like that, Minnesota has 2 first round picks this year, and 4 next year. But they are down a RB, 2 WR's, and 2 solid T's. Don't look for them to move the ball much this year.

Rams News

We are now locked in a bidding war with Detroit and Seattle for punter Jett. The money is getting a bit high, but we've got to address our terrible special teams situation. We wont quit on this player.

However, we will probably quit on CB Vance. We like him a lot, but refuse to cross the "10%" threshold. Once the contract offer hits about $12m, the bonus jumps from an arbitrary number to about $3m. We are not willing to do that, and will almost certainly see Vance walk away. Which leaves us with some unexpected money to play with. Too bad we dont love anyone else in free agency. But it does mean we may be able to afford RB's we previously thought we couldnt. Only time will tell.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote