View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

June 20, 2011 -

The goal is clear. Win the EPL. Winning the Champions League and the English FA Cup would also be nice. I have 26.5 million dollars to work with. I need to decide where to spend it. To that end, I decide to take a fresh look at my roster and see where I really need to improve. I'm going to start with the forwards and work my way back.

As a group, I think I have a gluttony of talent at striker. It may start to cause some hard feelings. Actually, Ernesto Marino has already started to complain. I like Ernesto, he is a good kid. However, I never really gave him a fair shake. In any case, I think this is my strongest position as a group. Let's take a look at them individually.

Wayne Rooney - This 25 year old striker is our most accomplished player. He has 81 caps and 35 goals for England and is viewed as a world class striker. My biggest concern is that he continues to complain that he doesn't feel he is in "top shape" despite being in superb condition. He underperformed last year, despite my use of him in limited action. I hope he will bounce back with a big year coming up. He is signed for 2 more years, and at the age of 25, I plan on working on an extension soon. He currently makes 160,000 dollars/week.

James McFadden - This 28 year old Scottish Striker is also very accomplished. He has 65 caps and 13 goals for Scotland. He is an excellent dribbler and a good shooter. He does everything well, and he and Rooney seem to like each other and play well together. He is signed for 3 more years, and I plan on generally starting him alongside Rooney. He makes 70,000/week.

Louis Saha - This 32 year old French Striker looks bad in practice, but performs surprisingly well in games. His best asset is continued top notch physical attributes. He is in decline, but he still has something to give. He is only signed through this year, and I plan on working an extension with him if he is interested. He currently makes 100,000/week.

Ruud van Nistelrooy - This 34 year old Dutch Striker is a legend in his home country. He has 93 caps and 46 goals. He still is a very good scorer, and I see him having usefulness in limited action. He is also signed for another year and he makes 120,000/week. He and Saha work particularly well together and have played together for a long time. They used to be the premier pair of strikers long before I arrived. He currently makes 120,000 per week.

Adriano - I acquired this 19 year old Brazilian striker last year for 14,000,000 dollars. His value is already starting to skyrocket. This kid is already good enough to play for us as evidenced by his large number of goals last year. He is only 19, and it could be scary how good he will turn out. I expect him to continue to improve for the next 5 years. He'll get more action this year, including a few more starts. He currently is a steal at 32,500/week. He is signed for 2 more years, and I plan on working on a long term extension this year.

Craig King - I acquired this 21 year old English Wonderkid striker for a reasonable price, and his value has skyrocketed as well to 24 million. He is a superb finisher. He has great attributes. I want him and Adriano to work together more this year. I can see them being a pair of dynamic strikers togethers for a decade to come. He is currently making 42,000/week and he is also signed for 2 more years. I will work on an extension soon.

Ernesto Marino - I like Ernesto, but this 24 year old Italian striker didn't get much PT with us last year. He has the talent. He is quite good, but just not as good as my other two young strikers. He is unhappy with his playing time, and I can't blame him. He wants to be moved if he isn't going to get PT. I plan on trying to move him. He is currently "worth" 7.6 million, and he makes 17,000/week. I'll see if any team wants him. Otherwise, his contract ends after this year and I'll consider letting him go on a free.

Alan Smith - I feel even worse about Smith's situation. This 30 year old striker is a top notch striker. I really should be using him more. I plan on trying to work him into games more this year. He is a top notch talent. He is currently making 83,000/week. I'd like to keep him as a veteran talent, but I suspect he will want to move on after this year.

Akin Serhat - This 30 year old Turkish Striker is very good, but not top notch. I've never really liked him since I became manager, and I don't plan on using him much except maybe at Right wing where he has some potential. However, I'd really like to move him. It will be difficult as he has multiple leg fractures that will keep him out for 5 more months. His contract expires after the season. I will let him go on a Bosman if I can't trade him.

That is it. A gluttony of strikers. I also have several promising young strikers on the reserve squad and U18 squad that aren't ready to play on the big club, but they might develop in a few years.

In any case, I certainly don't need to acquire any more strikers for now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote