View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 07:54 AM   #301
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Stumble Out Of The Gates

Hempstead, NY - A day after the Jets lost there preseason opener to Detroit, 13-6, Coach McGregor met with the media to discuss how the new season is progressing.

"We came out of yesterday's game unscathed, Santana Moss did tweak his hamstring, and we will sit him down until he is fully recovered. If this were the regular season, he could play.

As far as the game goes, we need to find a way to put points on the board. We did OK moving the ball (312 yards in total offense), and when you do that you expect more than two field goals. We played a young offensive line out there, and there inexperienced showed, with a couple of costly penalties and sacks. I thought Chad threw the ball well, and perhaps his best pass of the day was the long touchdown pass to Chrebet that got called back. The receivers did a decent job getting open and pulling down the ball. You saw Calico make a tough catch over the middle there, that is why we need him to be able to start this season. His size is a big plus for our passing game over the middle.

The running game did OK, like I said earlier, we had a inexpereinced line out there, so there were some mistakes. I thought Curtis did a nice job, as well as JJ Arrington. On the O-Line, we got rookies Jamaal Brown and Lequalan McDonald some quality time, and I think they saw the difference from the collegiate level to the pros. They both made some good plays and, well, some not so good plays.

On defense, we played some of the younger guys, including Dana McAllister and Justin Miller at corner. They did a decent job, McAllister had a tough time adjusting last season, but he seems better prepared and should see more time. We also need to get our first round pick (who just signed) in there when he is in game condition. He is behind now, and will probably stuggle at times this season.

We go to St. Louis next week and some of the people we are looking to see are Rattay at quarterback and Morton getting some more carries at back. We will also get a look at Cotchery who missed 15 games last year with an injury. We should also get our first look at Shazor in game action. We have been happy thus far with last year's third round pick, Pruitt and newly signed Damien Richardson at the strong safety position. At this time I will take any questions:"

"Coach, you did not bring in a replacement for Jordan, will Morton be handling the backup role, or are you looking elsewhere?'
"We expect Morton to play the HB2 spot this season. When the organization made the committment to resign Morton, they told him he would get a chance, he has worked hard and now he gets his chance."

"Is Chrebet's days as a starter with the Jets coming to a close?"
"Not sure at this time, we would like Wayne to be able to work out of his slot position. He has been playing out of postion for the past two seasons, and did a good job, but we need some size there and Calico and Terrell give us that."

"You have a new defensive coordinator this season, how have things changed?"
"Ernest (Shields) has come in running. He likes to use more players than we have in the past, rotating the front seven, and moving people around. The players will adjust and I am sure they will be fine. He likes to play more zone than we did last season, and use pressure through the line, and keep the backers in coverage."

"Any rookie free agents that have caught your attention?"
The corner, Elimimien has looked good, he went undrafted probably because of his combine numbers, but he has looked pretty good in camp. We have six corners here, not sure we want to carry that."

"Any position group you feel needs to be addressed before the regular season?"
"Right now, no, but there have been no injuries and it is still early."

"Anything else fellas?"
"Thanks"
New York Jets
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote