Old 03-22-2005, 02:51 PM   #747
Franklinnoble
Banned

Mar 22, 2005
Lafave May Negotiate Plea Deal
By THOMAS W. KRAUSE
[email protected]

• News Channel 8 report

TAMPA - The 24-year-old teacher accused of molesting her 14-year-old student hopes to make a deal with prosecutors without having to endure a trial.

Debra Lafave's attorney and the assistant state attorney prosecuting her both told Judge Wayne Timmerman on Tuesday morning that they hoped to begin plea negotiations soon.

John Fitzgibbons, who represents Lafave, said a defense- hired psychiatrist has interviewed the teacher and they are waiting for a similar interview from a state psychiatrist. After that, both sides will sit down for a ``serious discussion,'' Fitzgibbons said.

``I don't know if we will be able to resolve this or not,'' he said. ``I think there would be a lot of advantages for both the prosecution and the defense to resolve this case without a trial.''

Fitzgibbons said he has not yet taken the deposition of the 14-year-old boy, hoping to prevent him that indignity if a plea can be reached.

Timmerman postponed the trial from April 25 to July 18 to give both sides time for discussions. If a deal is not reached, however, Timmerman said he would not postpone the trial again.

After the hearing, Fitzgibbons said Lafave has been diagnosed to have ``severe emotions issues.''

``Once those become known, I think that will explain a lot,'' he said.

Lafave faces up to 15 years in prison on charges of lewd and lascivious battery. Fitzgibbons would not speculate on whether a plea deal would include jail time.

Lafave, a Greco Middle School reading teacher, and the 14-year-old student talked often via cell phone after the school year ended in June 2004. The two engaged in sexual activity at her town home in Riverview, then had intercourse on June 14 inside the portable classroom where Lafave taught, court records show.

The relationship continued on a trip to Ocala, where the teen's aunt saw the two. The aunt called the teens mother. He later confessed to the relationship and police were notified.

Reporter Thomas W. Krause can be reached at (813) 259-7698.

This story can be found at: http://news.tbo.com/news/MGB6YRBCM6E.html
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote