View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Ice Age: An FOF2K4 MP Dynasty

Introduction

After three seasons, I have decided to document the story of the Oregon Ice, my team in the Continental Football League.

My ownership of the Oregon Ice began in the not-too-distant past. It all started in the year 2003, to be exact. I inherited the team when they were known as the Portland Knights. Wanting to make the team my own, however, I changed the name.

After considerable thought, I ultimately decided I didn’t want to limit our fan base to Portland. Consequently, the team now calls the whole State of Oregon its home. As for the team nickname, I chose the Ice. The name was short, simple, and embodies the characteristics that I hope my team will be known for some day--cold, unrelenting, and unforgiving power.

The Oregon Ice are, historically, one of the best teams in the CFL. The team compiled a 35-17 record (3-1 playoffs) in three seasons and won the CFL Championship in 2003.

Until now, however, the Ice have never truly been “my team.” When I inherited the organization, it already had a great gameplan and two superstars in the backfield: QB Landon Hurst (2003 CFL Championship MVP, 2004 2nd Team) and RB Roger Rubenstein (5,152 total yards, 43 TDs in 3 seasons). I didn’t have to do much tinkering to achieve success.

In the 2006 offseason, however, I cut Rubenstein and traded Hurst to the Charleston Monitors. It was a bold move, but necessary to free up crucial cap space. I didn’t get anything for Rubenstein, but I got a lot in return for Hurst. In exchange for the second-ranked QB in the league (91/91), I got top CB Orlando Pilcher (72/72), as well as a king’s ransom in draft picks: a 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th in 2006, as well as Charleston’s 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2007.

With a new starting QB, a committee of unproven running backs, and lots of draft picks, I feel the Ice are now “my team.” The real test of my skill as an FOF2K4 GM now begins. . .

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-20-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Grid Iron is offline   Reply With Quote