View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 12:00 AM   #284
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Pre-FA Stage 10

Hempstead, NY - The Jets got busy during the last two stages, signing two defensive tackles, and defensive end and trading for a tight end.

The Jets got the defensive end they had coveted since free agency began, Aaron Smith. Smith signed a 4 years deal worth $7.05 million. Smith will replace Shaun Ellis, who still has not signed, at right end. Smith has a similar build to Ellis, 6'5" and 293 pounds. Smith is a smart player who can use technique as well as brute strenth to get to the quarterback, and pressence against the run can lack at times, but with a stong linebacking corp the Jets should still be okay.

The Jets were disappointed that Jason Ferguson signed a deal the first opportunity that was presented to him. The Jets gambled and lost out on a player they were sure they could resign. It did not take long to find a replacement however, the Jets signed Kenny Peterson who was a cap casulty in Green Bay, after just two seasons in the league Peterson has emerged as a nice player. Peterson will line up along side Ty Warren to form a young formidable inside pressence for the Jets defense.

Along with signing Peterson, the Jets also assured depth at the defensive tackle position. The team resigned Cornelius Griffin. He will primarily back up Ty Warren and will get some reps at either tackle position.

With tight ends moving quickly in free agency, and the draft class weak at that position, the Jets opted to make a trade for one. They dealt their third round pick in this year's draft to Indianapolis for Dallas Clark. Clark may not be the biggest tight end at 6'3", 257 pounds, but he adds a dimension that Becht could not bring to the passing game. He is a player who does have the ability to get downfield. Clark is potentially a physical blocker as well. Clark started just 4 games in Indianpolis where he was unable to pry the starting job away from veteran Marcus Pollard. The writing was on the wall that Clark would see less time this year when the team signed Desmond Clark. "This was a win-win situation for both organizations," Marra stated. We received a player that we expect to start for us, while Indianapolis received a pick that they can use on a player to better suit them. We had Dallas rated high in the 2003 draft, but at the time had Anthony Becht, with Becht moving on and Clark available we felt it was the perfect fit for us."

Our roster now sits at 42 players, we are still awaiting Sciullo's decision. He has drawn interest from other teams, but we feel confident he will sign with us. As far as the rest of the early free agency period goes, we are still looking to make a few more moves to sure up our roster. We are still watching the running backs and receivers, and are still sitting on cornerback, Andre Dyson, however, our cap room is getting smaller, so we need to wait out the Dyson situation. We will probably sign about 3 more players, giving us 45 when we enter the draft. Pick up 6 to 7 players during the draft, sign a few undrafted players and add some depth during late free agency will allow us to carry about 60 players to camp.

A problem that should be addressed is our strong conflict between O-Line leader Jason Fabini, and Kareem McKenzie. There are possibilities that we deal McKenzie and look to replace him through the draft or sign an available right tackle like, Todd Wade, or Adrian Klemm. I like both Fabini and McKenzie, however, they are not on the same page as another. McKenzie has not played that well the past two seasons, and perhaps this has attributed to it.

The other problem is Santana Moss, I would love to keep this guy, however, he is in the last year of his contract and wants a monster new deal. In my opinion he does not warrant $38 million over four seasons. I have conteplated trading him, however, knowing how the game works, Moss will be a free agent next season, and I feel like I am taking advantage of the Computer AI. So, in all likelyhood, Moss will play for the Jets this season, then become an unrestricted free agnet next year, where maybe his demands will lessen, and I can resign him there.
New York Jets
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote