View Single Post
Old 03-13-2003, 01:25 PM   #55
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty3281
I would have done just that Kysrup, and if he tried it again, I would have stabbed him in the face with a soldering iron (thanks Clem.)

But IMO? I think she's messed up.. how could she have NOT tried to get away?

I take it you're not familiar with the Stockholm Syndrome? It's a rather common occurance in cases where a person or people are held against their will for long periods of time - a sympathy for the captors can develop. I don't have my old Psych textbooks in front of me and I don't recall the details of why this occurs exactly, but it has happened quite often in hostage/abductee situations.

Of course we have no idea yet what Elizabeth Smart's experience was during her abduction, so it's certainly possible that she didn't escape simply because of fear.

As far as the publicity angle, I don't think anyone here isn't very happy to hear that she's been found and returned to her family. I can understand though why people are questioning the level of attention that was paid to her disappearence relative to other similar cases that happen all too often. Certainly with her recovery, this is a big story, but why was her case so publicized after she was abducted? I think that is a fair question to ask...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote