View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 09:01 AM   #311
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 22, 2007
League Cup, Round 1: home vs Oxford (7th in L2, 1win 3draws)
Odds: Luton 5-4(fav), Oxford 7-4
S: Showunmi/Kaviedes/Vine
AMC: Mansell
DM: Davis/Wellens/Foley (small up arrows for wingbacks)
DC: Bruce/James/Burton
GK: Beckwith

They show a 4-4-2 formation with moderate push from the wingers.

46': One minute into injury time, they score on a deflected ball through our wall on a free kick. I hate deflected balls like that! Down 0-1.

77': Great teamwork among 3 Hatters lead to the equalizer. From Neil Mellor to Enoch Showunmi, who passes it back to Sol Davis. Davis centers it to Mellor who converts to bring us back in the game. Tied 1-1.

I expected it to be like the FA Cup where you get a replay when it's tied, but apparently, it is not. We're going into extra time.

112': Neil Mellor gets injured and has to leave the field. Obviously, in the 112th minute, we don't have any subs left, so we'll have to go the distance with only 10 on the pitch.

The game gets to penalty kicks!

Both teams score on their first two chances (Marc Bridge-Wilkinson, Paul Evans for us) and then miss their third (Tony James for us). Both fourth player scored (Sagi Burton for us). Rob Beckwith then took matter into his own hands, saving kicks number 5, 6, and 7, while Kevin Foley kicked wide and Sol Davis kicked it over the net. Alex Bruce finally nailed one to give us the win after 7 kicks on both sides!!!

*sidenote* I started this game on Sunday night at 10:40PM, thinking I'd play it, write down what was needed, then it kept on going, and going, and going. First thing I realized, I had been interrupted twice by poor kiddo having a rough sleep and it was 11:30. I completely forgot to write any stats down about the game, other than we won and will be playing in round 2 of the League Cup, something that has not happened often for our team in recent years.

FM