View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 09:09 AM   #49
revrew
Team Chaplain

State Championship: vs. West Central Blue Devils

Forget the usual format, this was a game for the ages, and I'm not going to give it the usual, brief news coverage!

West Central had first possession and moved the ball efficiently until a Rondell Mummert sack on third down forced a punt. On their next possession, W.C. moved the ball again, down to our 8-yard line, but a sack by reserve DT Cushing forced them to kick a field goal. W.C., 3-0 at the end of the first.

Our offense couldn't string together 3 first downs, so W.C. got the ball again, but a sack by dime-back Crane stopped yet another W.C. drive. We exchanged three 3-and-outs. With their running game grinding down, their star QB took over. Complete. Complete. Complete. Then, BAM! Their QB gets buried in the pile and comes up injured. Just as it looked like he was going to rip us a new one, he's gone for the game.

And yet, our offense looked pathetic. We gave up sacks, too. Our runners couldn't get past the line. We dropped passes. With time running out in the half, suddenly, W.C. rips off a 57-yard TD pass, and we go into the locker room with our tails between our legs, 10-0. Granted, our defense was playing way over their heads. Granted, their star QB was gone. But our offense was inept at best. We had to start something.

A decent drive and some new life in Lincoln Ingram's arm put us in position to score right away in the third, but we missed the field goal. Can nothing go our way? Then, BOOM! (Do you like my Madden impressions?) W.C. hits a 32-yard pass, and we can feel our sails deflating. Still…they get a couple of yellow hankies dropped on 'em (they've had several already), and their drive ends as well.

We punt again (what's that…8 times already?), but the pocket collapses on them, their QB scrambles, and POW! Rondell Mummert plasters him, pops the ball loose, and we recover in their territory! Eppright and Hackett start to roll, but a sack (jeez, neither one of us can protect our QB!) knocks us back, and we procede to miss our second FG of the game. C'mon, boys, time is tickin!!!

West Central drives again, hits the FG, and now leads 13-0. With our offense gasping for air, every score puts this one further out of reach.

Another sack, another punt for us. But yellow hankies fly on them like moths to a flame, and they face a 3rd and 31 they can't convert.

Yet, another sack, another punt for us. But our punt knocks them back, and when they can't move it, we're in position for a FG, which we hit at last. The score is now 13-3 with only 5 minutes left to go in the game.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote