View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #281
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

April 28, 2007
Match #45: away at Sheffield United (3rd with 79pts, we have 35pts)
Odds: Luton 4-1, Sheffield Utd 4-7 (fav)
S: Vine/Kaviedes (outside arrows on both)
MC: Mansell/Bridge-Wilkinson
DM: Davis/Keane/Foley (small up arrows on wingbacks)
DC: James/O'Connor/Coyne
GK: Murphy

This is a formation I've played a little with, mostly when I need something more defensive, basically a defensive 3-5-2. Three central defenders and 3 defensive middies, with to central middies on top, even though with up arrows, this gives us a strong presence on our end.

Kevin Joyce is not starting today, but Steve Howard, former Hatter goal scorer extraordinaire is starting. He's not having as much success putting the ball in the net with Sheffield, only 8 goals so far this season, after two seasons of 20+ goals with us...

I decide to give the last two starts to Joe Murhpy, see if he can start winning.

We're down 0-1 at the half and possession is heavily skewed toward our defensive zone. They are outshooting us 8-2 (2-0 on target).

84': Neil Mellor intercepts a ball from a defender and quickly converts it to give us a tie in the game.

90': Mellor goes at it again with a great pass from the wing to the center, at Lee Mansell's feet. Mansell scores to give us the lead 2-1!!!

Game's over, we unexpectedly win 2-1!

MoM: Rob Beckwith with a rating of 9. I put him in at the 60th minute, when I got pissed that Joe Murphy was having another one of his sucky, 5 rated kind of game. I don't know how, but he rallied the troups in an amazing way. The kid who was once a project for my team now has handling and reflexes that hover around 16. He is the keeper of the future, and even of the present, for the Hatters.

Final Score: Luton 2, Sheffield United 1
Shots: Luton 8(3), Sheffield 24(7)

Looking back on the shots, I see that they shot 16 times in the second half (5 times on target), I can now see why Beckwith was named Man of the Match.

Possession: (us/them)
our zone: 15/26
middle: 20/20
their zone: 14/5
Overall: 49/51

Also part of the change when I put Beckwith in, I made some tactical changes. I upped the tempo, asked the player to play longer passes and go with a bit more attacking mentality, all the while pulling back the defensive line a bit deeper. I guess I may have hit the perfect tactic to play that Sheffield Side...

FM