View Single Post
Old 01-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #255
mmarra82
High School Varsity

As we approach the last week of the season the Jets have the following players who are not under contract for the 2005 season:

Unrestricted Free Agents:
RB Lamont Jordan
TE Anthony Becht
SE Marcus Robinson
LT LJ Shelton
K Doug Brien
LDE Shaun Ellis
LDT Cornellius Griffin
RDT Jason Ferguson
SLB Jason Glenn
LCB Jacoby Shepherd
LCB Jason Webster
SS Tyrone Carter

Restricted Free Agents:
QB John Navarre
TE Chris Baker
RDT Alan Harper
FL Jerricho Cotchery

We will keep our RFA's, and give them the opportunity in Training Camp to keep a roster spot. Both Harper and Baker have contributed while Navarre was our 3rd string QB this season, and Cotchery was lost for the year in the first game of the season.

Our Unrestricted Free Agents is another story, lets start with the ones who will not be offered a contract, and will have the opportunity to explore free agency. Shaun Ellis is rated high by our scout, but his production just does not warrant $20.5 million over the next 3 seasons. I am sure he will receive that money from someone and move on. Tyrone Carter has been solid for us in his two seasons, but he wants more than we would like to pay for him. We feel Jon McGraw can make the move from Free Safety to Strong Safety. We can find a more affordable Free Safety through free agency or the draft. DT, Jason Ferguson had a solid season, however, he is 30-years old, and still wants a tad too much money in my opinion. We will opt to hold out and see if he is still available come Late Free Agency, if so, we may pursue him then. We will look to replace Anthony Becht with a receiver type Tight End. Jason Glenn will have the chance to earn playing time somewhere else. Same goes for Cornelius Griffin, Marcus Robinson, Jason Webster, and LJ Shelton.

These players will be considered, we would like to keep them, but should we pay them the money. Kicker Doug Brien is one that is troubling me. Brien has a strong leg, but lack the accuracy you would like to see (he is under 70% in two seasons), he want the big contract. Now, I would normally let him go, however, there does not appear to be many kickers available. I might roll the dice here and hope to sign him during free agency. I will not get into a bidding war with another team though. Lamont Jordan is the other interesting player. There is no doubt that Martin is on the decline, but Martin will be back with the team. Jordan is not the likely replacement for Martin, so we may need to find Martin's replacement immediately and therefore, there is no role for Jordan with the team. Jacoby Shepherd did a nice job this season. Shepherd is more a reserve type player, the question is do we have room for Shepherd with the drafting of McAllister last season. If Shepherd is willing to be a dime back, the Jets can make an offer for him is dime back money.
New York Jets
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote