View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 09:36 AM   #39
revrew
Team Chaplain

Week 15: Postville Pirates

North Iowa Times
Mar-Mac Falls Again, 17-7
McGREGOR, IA—The once unstoppable Spartan offense has ground to a halt in the last two weeks, scoring 3 and 7 points, respectively. Though the loss drops the Spartans' record to 11-4, a loss by UMVC rival Lansing this week means Mar-Mac will nonetheless retain sole possession of first in the conference. This loss has the Spartans concerned, however, as they look ahead to the playoffs.

"Our offense never had the chance to take the field," explained Mar-Mac coach Everett Malone. "Postville converted 14 third downs, rushed for nearly 170 yards, and held the ball for over 40 minutes of the game. Our defense played very poorly today, and consequently, our offense couldn’t win it for us."

When asked if injuries played a factor in the loss, Malone stated, "Absolutely. We've been without our Mike back, Bubba Porter, for most of the season, and the loss of Rondell Mummert and Bart Hall completely decimated our linebacking corps. I don't know if you noticed it, but we suited up one of our managers and started him weakside. Meanwhile, their two star linebackers destroyed us. They held J.B. Chapman to negative yards rushing, for crying out loud!"

The frustration in coach Malone's voice was obvious as he talked about the game. Thankfully for Malone, the Spartans return injured FB Brant Eppbright to the lineup for next week's season finale against the 5-9-1 Central Warriors.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote