View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 10:19 AM   #250
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

November 25, 2006
Match #19: away at Sunderland (currently 22nd, only one point behind us)
odds: Luton 3-1, Sunderland 4-5 (fav)
S: Morris/Kaviedes/Pinnock
AMC: Bridge-Wilkinson
DM: Davis/Chambers/Foley (small up arrows on wingbacks)
D: Oyedele/James/Coyne
GK: Murphy

Looking at their fixtures list, I see the beat Crystal Palace 3-0 about 3 games ago, oh boy, doesn't look good... They do have 5 players injured though. They played a 4-4-2 with moderate push from the wingers in their last match but they show a 4-4-2 with heavy push by the wingers as we get to the field.

We have 2 players with minor injuries, both injured in training. Keeper Joe Murphy is at 83% with a bruised shin, should be full strength in 4 days. He'll get the start anyway. Rowan Vine is pulled from the lineup following a neck strain. He shows up only at 69%, not good enough for a striker. Other than shuffling a player or two, I don't change much to our 3-4-3 formation.

8th minute: A quick throw-in from Tony James to James Pinnock ends up to Kevin Foley's feet when Pinnock short passes it to him. Foley tries to feed the ball to Ivan Kaviedes, but a defender intercepts the ball and try to clear it to the back. He scores an own goal!!! We're up 1-0.

33rd minute: Marc Bridge-Wilkinson and James Pinnock have picked up minor injury but I leave them on the field. It may be one of the reasons why Sunderland moves around, until they get to our penalty box and they see an open man near our 6yd box. He beast Joe Murphy on the near side. Tied 1-1.

38th minute: Marc Bridge-Wilkinson holds the ball just long enough for Ivan Kaviedes to take a run in between to defenders. Bridge-Wilkinson sends a superb pass to Kavi, alone with the keeper, whom he fakes out of his shorts, finally putting the ball in the net. We're up 2-1.

First half is over with us leadin 2-1. They win possession with 53%, and lead us in shots 8 to 2 (4 to 1 on target), so we better watch out.

We get more chances in the second half but don't score. At least we spent much more time on their end than on ours. We win our second in a row!!!

Final Score: Luton 2, Sunderland 1
Shots (on target): Luton 7 (3), Sunderland 12 (6)
MoM: Tony James with a rating of 8. He also completed 17 of 21 passes, won 8 of 8 headers, 3 of them key headers. Lee Mansell set the tone for the second half when I pulled him back in the place of Marc Bridge-Wilkinson. We had 5 players with ratings of 8 in all.

Possession: (us/them)
our zone: 14/25
middle: 22/21
their zone: 13/5
Overall: 49/51

We move up to 20th, now 4 points out of the drop zone. We don't have any game for a whole week.

FM