View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 08:11 AM   #247
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

November 18, 2006
Match #17: away at Leicester (currently 6th with 27 points, we have 12 points)
odds: Luton 7-2, Leicester 4-6 (fav)
S: Morris/Kaviedes/D'Sane
AMC: Bridge-Wilkinson
DM: Davis/Chambers/Foley (small up arrows on wingbacks)
D: Oyedele/James/Coyne
GK: Murphy

Leicester have drawn their last 5 games, three of them scoreless. They played a 4-4-2 formation with moderate push from the wingers in their last match and they show the same formation as we get to the field today.

Ivan Kaviedes played twice with Ecuador during our two week break and is the only one not at 100%. He still gets the start, but I'll keep a close eye on him and will pull him if he dips too low in condition. Following the disater that was our last match, I switch tactics again, back to the 3-4-3, but with a bit less push from the wingbacks. Shola Oyedele gets the start at left centreback. He's been playing well with the reserves and will be the only player going into the game with superb morale. He's also got very decent passing skills, which could be what's missing for my defenders to clear the ball to the middies.

We have 3 players suspended in Rowan Vine, James Pinnock and Ricky Hanson, and a starter injured in Bartosz Tarachulski.

Two main tactic things I'm trying. First, I give Kavi carte blanche in creativity. I'm hoping he'll use his flamboyant style to create havoc in the middle of their defense. Second, I tell my outside strikers to stop crossing, or cross the ball as little as possible. I'm hoping they will either try to find closer teammate to pass it to, or they'll take the ball to the goal themselves.

18th minute: Few highlights showed us shooting over their goal, which in itself wasn't a bad thing, it meant we were getting chances, getting up there. But then the flurry happened. Many highlights followed that showed them into our box, getting shots, Joe Murphy deflecting them to corners. They finally score after too many passes inside our penalty box. Down 0-1. Feels like déjà vu...

32nd minute: They shoot from outside the box, but it hits the post. Joe Murphy can't get to the rebound before them, they score in the rebound. Down 0-2.

41st minute: We get a free kick just outside their penalty box. Marc Bridge-Wilkinson takes it and kicks it over the wall, top corner from 25 yard out. Still down, but now 1-2.

49th minute: We move the ball on the right side. A nice through ball for Kevin Foley. Foley and Roscoe D'Sane exchange a few balls inside the box. Foley gets fouled in the box! PENALTY!!! Marc Bridge-Wilkinson confidently converts it for his 5th goal of the season, we're back in the game! Tied 2-2.

56th minute: A freakish shot comes from one of their strikers on the right. First time I see it, Joe Murphy looks awfully out of position. Replay confirms that the ball defelcted on Shola Oyedele before going in the goal. Down again, 2-3.

86th minute: As I watch Lee Morris run with the ball, I'm thinking "WTF is he doing out there, no time for a Sunday walk in the park, idiot!" Right at that moment, he pumps a perfect pass (beautiful idiot!) to Matthew Blinkhorn, who had come in for Ivan Kaviedes a few minutes before that. Blink is alone with the keeper, he won't miss that one. We're tied again, 3-3!

88th minute: They come right back at us. Following a center from the right, Chris Coyne brings his man down in the box! PENALTY!!! But oh boy! Joe Murphy does it again, HE BLOCKS IT!!! We're still tied, but not for long as everybody is in shock and nobody thinks about going to get the ball. The player that kicked the penalty goes to pick it up and he send it back to an open man in the 6 yard box for an easy finish... We're down again, 3-4.

We push them real hard during the 3 minutes of injury time, but ot no avail. Honestly, that's the kind of loss I can live with. Very frustrating, but we had chances and we kept coming back...

Final Score: Luton 3, Leicester 4
Shots (on target): Luton 7 (3), Leicester 17 (13)
MoM: Leicester's James Scowcroft with 2 goals and a rating of 10.
HoM: Marc Bridge-Wilkinson with 2 goals and a rating of 9.

Possession: (us/them)
our zone: 14/27
middle: 19/20
their zone: 13/7
Overall: 46/54

We drop to 23rd, but still 1 point from the 21st which is the last position out of the drop zone.

FM