View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #241
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Media Question
Following the bad loss to Wolves, I get approached by a journalist from a local newspaper with a question. He asks: "Your side seem to concede a lot of goals. What do you intend to do about it?".

After going through two games where we conceded 5 goals apiece, I just want to bite his head off, à la Bill Parcells, but I take the Bill Belichick approach (more on this later). I answer: "I think the team as a whole is to blame. We just can't concentrate for 90 minutes".

Somehow this shows up in the paper as me stating that the team is to blame for our defensive inadequacies. I cringe when I read it, ready for some backlash by my players. Luckily, there's none. Maybe they feel like they have to share part of the blame.

Team morale is at an all time low. Just about everybody, except players that were injured, thus not part of the carnage, still have a shred of good morale. Everybody else has very poor morale. We have 14 days before our next game although some players have been called up for international duty, mostly friendlies though.

Transfer News
My Bill Belichick approach wasn't really in my answer, more in the unspoken words. I could have said that I absolutely needed to go shopping, but I didn't. This shouldn't keep me from shopping, right? I take a look at my shortlisted players and I see this 22yo central defender from Blackburn, currently on loan at Oldham. Name is Alex Bruce. He's young, with good heading, marking, tackling, and positionning. More so, he also has very good passing skils, which is what I think may be missing from my central defenders in order to clear the front of the net and start the offense back up. He is currenlty valued at $1.05M, but Blackburn have transfer listed him and they are only asking for $320k. He's on loan until December 31. I decide to make a first offer at $260k.

I also see a good D/DM RC in Marvin Elliott. Currently with Millwall, he is not transfer listed, and has a value of $1.1M. I declare my interest, to see if Millwall would be ready to let him go. Two days later, they say they would be ready to let him, but only if the offer meets the club's valuation of the player. $1.1M is a bit steep for my liking, as we only have 850k in transfer budget, so I set my scouts to take a look at him, and I'll wait things out.

FM