View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #274
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Am i misunderstanding some semantics here?

Probably ... because I didn't word it in a way that even I'm sure I understood what I meant.

Basically, the report I heard appeared to have been saying that:
Of the 7 leading diet plans, only Weight Watchers could show documented proof that, once you stopped being faithful to the diet, you didn't just go right back to your pre-diet weight.

I'm pretty sure I understood what they were trying to say, because there was a couple of minutes of discussion about it afterwards. The general point was along the lines of "nobody goes on Atkins (or any of these plans) expecting to remain on it for the rest of their life". With W.W., apparently your eating habits (or whatever) changed enough that even without consciously following the diet, you managed to avoid going right back up in weight, while with the others the return to pre-diet weight was likely & in fairly short order (I believe it was like 6 months to a year).

There was another caveat worth mentioning I think -- whatever study this was made a point to say that the lack of documentation didn't automatically mean the weight might not stay off -- just that it hadn't been proven.