View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #232
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

September 23, 2006
Match #10: home vs Queens Park Rangers (currently 12th with 12 points, only 2 ahead of us)
odds: Luton 9-4, Q.P.R evens(fav)
S: Morris/Kaviedes/Tarachulski
MC: Mansell (with up arrow)
DMC: Evans/Johnson (with up arrows)
D: Davis/James/Coyne/Foley (full backs up arrows)
GK: Goodlad

This match is on TV, the only one on the schedule for now. The pre match analysis doesn't give us much of a chance, we'll try to prove them wrong.

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson strained his neck in training, will not be at full speed before 4 days. He's still at 83%, so I keep him on the bench.

Ivan Kaviedes is now at 95%, but is still not declared match fit. I still start him, but will keep a good eye on him.

We go very offensive, up arrows for 5 players.

Q.P.R. played 4 days ago in League Cup, while we last played one week ago.

As we get to the game, they show a 4-4-2 formation with moderate push from the wingers.

42nd minute: Chris Coyne clears a loose ball from the box, to Lee Morris who gets on the move. He goes forward unchallenged. Ivan Kaviedes is disrupting the defenders, Morris passes him a short ball. Kavi turns around and fires a half-volley bullet from 30 yards out. IT'S IN!!! Kavi's first goal with Luton! We're up 1-0.

First half is over with us up 1-0. It's a very even game, both teams shooting 5 times, 2 on target. Possession is the same for both in our zone and in the middle, while they control the ball on their end. Kaviedes is at 77% and stays in the game for now.

77th minute: They center a long ball from the left, to a player that we're not marking at all. He's left with an easy finish. Tied 1-1.

81th minute: Only 4 minutes later, we let them them do what they want with the ball. They eventually score after many short passes. A huge letdown to let it go like that... Down 1-2.

1st minute of injury time: We're on full attack mode, but they control the ball and we don't challenge them. They score a goal very similar to their first one. In fact, it's a hat trick for that player, we got killed by one player... Down 1-3.

Final Score: Luton 1, Q.P.R. 3
Shots (on target): Luton 9 (3), Q.P.R. 16 (8)
MoM: Q.P.R.'s Jamie Cureton, with a 10, and 3 goals (who else?)
HoM: maybe Ivan Kaviedes, got a 7 like everybody else, but scored a goal on a nice strike.

Marc Bridge-Wilkinson and Adam Chambers were quite unimpressive as subs, both getting ratings of only 6.

Possession: (us/them)
our zone: 15/15
middle: 22/21
their zone: 10/17
Overall: 47/53

It's exhilarating when your team gets red hot in the end of the game, but when you're on the other end of things, well, it sucks. That was a sucky end of a game...

We drop to 20th after the loss, only 3 points ahead of the relegation line.

Manager Mind Game
Following the game, the manager of Q.P.R., Ian Holloway says he feels I'm facing a tough battle to keep my Luton Town side in the Championship (well, duh!).

He added that looking at our recent results, he was unsure of what I could do to turn thing around and start getting points on the board.

When I go to answer, I see that his relationship to me is that je just wants to keep his fans happy by enjoying some success over my teams.

I answer that I'm confident my team can avoid relegation. (sidenote: I could have answered that "there is no way we'll relegate" of that I was "*very* confident we would avoid relegation", so I thought kind of the lowest degree of confidence )

Player Reactions
There are two reactions, one mostly positive, the other more uncertain.

Three players have a positive attitude about the comments: Chris Coyne, Tony James, and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson. They all say they are determined to prove Holloway wrong and help the team avoid the drop.

Two players are more unsure about the the team's chances: Richard Johnson and Adam Chambers. They say they are unsure whether the team can avoid the drop. Come on guys! Believe!!!

FM