View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #227
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Season News
I have decided to view the season as 7 blocks of 6 matches and one final stretch of 4 matches. We have come to the end of the first block, here's how we did:

Match #1: Luton 2, Coventry 0
Match #2: Luton 0, Plymouth 3
Match #3: Luton 0, Reading 1
Match #4: Luton 2, Millwall 2
Match #5: Luton 0, Burnley 2
Match #6: Luton 1, Tranmere 0

So 2 wins, 3 losses and one draw for 7 points and a goal differential of -3. We've not been so outclassed, or at least not in scoring. Sometimes we lost possession pretty badly, but it didn't always translate into big scoring for our opponents, except in the Plymouth match, but they scored one on a penalty and one garbage goal in injury time at the end of the game. We will have to start scoring goals at some point though, because getting shut out half of the time will not win us many games.

My objectives are to at least get 7 points per block, basically win 2 and draw 1, as we just did, and try to split the final 4 games. This would give me 55 points, which I think would be enough to avoid relegation. This won't be easy, but that's what I think we'll have to do to survive in the Championship. I think the first season will be the toughest, after that, I should be able to afford better players and improve the squad overall...

August 29, 2006
Match #7: home vs Cardiff City (currently in 15th, both teams have 7 points)
odds: Luton 3-1, Cardiff 4-5 (fav)
S: Morris/Pinnock/D'Sane
MC: Mansell (with up arrow)
DM: Wilde/Evans/Hillier
D: Williams/James/Coyne
GK: Murphy

We drew 2-2 twice against Cardiff last season in League One.

The injury to Sol Davis really screws my 4-3-3. It's either play an unproven Jacopo Piotto at left full back, or go to the 3-4-3 with Bobby Wilde at left wingback. Seeing how they played a 3-5-2 with 5 middies on a line, I decide to go with the 3-4-3, to try and at least stay up with them in the middle. I pull Lee Mansell to more of a MC position, with a forward arrow.

They still show the same 3-5-2 as we get to the game.

9th minute: With a couple of short passes, they bring the ball into our penalty box, in between Mark William and Tony James. Joe Murphy gets a hand on the incoming kick, but it's too hard and goes in. Down 0-1.

We're down 0-1 at the half, but we're winning possession slightly, 51-49.

62nd minute: They catch our whole back four (defenders AND keeper) sleeping on their second goal. They pump a long to the right to clear their box to start the play. Mark Williams just couldn't keep up with his man on that side and everybody watches on as their striker centers
the ball to the edge of the 6 yard box, where another of their striker sneaked up. Joe Murphy was especially out of position. We go down 0-2.

71st minute: Roscoe D'Sane redeems himself after being called offside. He blocks the ensuing free kick and the ball gets deflected all the way to the center/left side of the field to a Lee Morris free of defenders. He applies the finish for his 1st goal with Luton. Still down, now 1-2.

They pull back both wingers and we can't get to their box from then on...

Final Score: Luton 1, Cardiff City 2
Shots (on target): Luton 3 (1), Cardiff 7 (4)
MoM: Cardiff's Stephen Warnock
HoM: Roscoe D'Sane gets the only 8 of the team. Joe Murphy has a pretty bad game. His rating of 5 leads me to believe he had many little mistakes like the one that led to them scoring their second goal.

Possession: (us/them)
our zone: 9/14
middle: 18/24
their zone: 21/14
Overall: 48/52

We drop to 20th after the loss.

FM

edit: I had put this match as being away, but it was played at home. Correction made.

Last edited by FrogMan : 01-06-2005 at 09:20 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote