FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

May 26, 2006
League One Playoffs Final
vs Swindon at Wembley
S: Showunmi/Blinkhorn/Hammond
MC: Mansell (with up arrow)
DMC: Johnson/Keane (with up arrows)
D: Davis/James/Williams/Foley (no up arrows)
GK: Murphy

I set pretty much the same lineup as the one used in the second leg of the Semi Final against Sheffield Wednesday. The only change is Richard Johnson taking the place of injured/suspended Adam Chambers.

Lee Mansell is again in the central middie spot for the start of the game, leaving Marc Bridge-Wilkinson to come fresg from the bench if/when we'll need to make something happen.

Chris Coyne has not fully recovered from his injury, now only at 77%, so Curtis Davies will be the backup defender.

Since going with a heavily attacking mentality has served us well in the last two games, I set it the same for this final. I ask my boys to keep the tempo quick and play the field as narrow as possible and concentrate the passes through the middle. I also set my defensive line to play deep.

Swindon played a vanilla 4-4-2 formation with moderate push from the wingers in their last game. As I scout them, I see that one of their central defenders, a guy averaging 7.21 as form rating. Also, their top striker, average of 7.41 in form rating, is showing as very tired with only 75% condition.

They may have a weakness in goal, as their starting keeper has only averaged 6.89 over the course of the season, in 48 appearances. Dang, he's started and all league games for them!

A reminder that the odds for us to come out as winners are set at 6-4, while Swindon's odds are at 13-8. We're the favorites going in.

As we get to the game, they show a 4-3-3 formation similar to us on top (outside arrows on outside strikers) while they play their three middies on a straight line in the middle. This may well turn out to be a very open game...

23rd minute: Matthew Blinkhorn is injured and has to go off. He wasn't having his greatest game though (only rating below 7, a 5), so this may be a positive shakeup, although a bit early if you ask me. James Pinnock comes in. Let's hope he can work his magic like he did in extra time last game...

38th minute: A great shot from Elvis Hammond, coming after a nice center from Enoch Showunmi, is tipped to a corner by their goalie. Still no score...

The first half is over. We spent more time around their goal toward the end of the half, almost doubling our shots in the last 10 minutes...

50th minute: They lose their right full back to injury. While putting a new guy there, they also put in a new right forward. This will be one to watch, fresh legs versus the worn down legs of my defenders...

58th minute: We keep knocking at the door, but their keeper gets on tipping our balls to corner kicks. Still no score...

61st minute: Marc Bridge-Wilkinson comes in for Lee Mansell. I set him as a playmaker and tell my player to use the playmaker. Steve Robinson also comes in to replace Richard Johnson.

We're spending much more time toward their end since the start of the second half.

71st minute: Marc Bridge-Wilkinson really is at the center of everything as he exchanges passes with first Keith Keane, then James Pinnock, finally giving the ball back to Pinnock who fires a bullet toward the goal that's just tipped again to a corner...

84th minute: An opposing defender slides on James Pinnock with both feet and gets called by the referee. That player already has a yellow card and the referee gives him his second yellow. HE'S SENT OFF!!! The ensuing free kick is right outside their penalty box and Pinnock lines up as our mandated free kick taker. He sends a beauty of a strike through their 4 man wall!!! We're up 1-0!

Swindon goes to a 2-4-3 formation in a more attacking style.

90th minute: For the second time in less that 3 minutes, Mark Williams clears an incoming corner kick free out of our penalty box. The 35 year old veteran has played two great game for us in the last two games and make me real happy I resigned him for next season...

injury time: Damn, the clock shows 94:50 and this darn game is never going to end, I'm thinking as they mount an attack, but they put the ball in the stands...

FINAL WHISTLE!!! WE WIN!!! WE PROMOTE TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Final Score: Luton 1, Swindon 0
Shots (on target): Luton 18 (9), Swindon 12 (2)
MoM: Swindon's keeper Adam Bartlett with a rating of 9. What I thought could have been a weakness for them turned out to be their strength.
HoM: James Pinnock with a rating of 8, but a great game coming from the bench. He completed 24 of 28 passes, 3 of them key passes, won 5 of 12 headers, 2 of them key ones, and scored the winning goal.

The 6th place cinderella team moves on to promot, against all odds...

FM