View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #164
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

May 5, 2006
home vs Cheltenham (currently 15th with 55 points, we have 70 points)
S: Showunmi/Blinkhorn/Pinnock
AMC: Jones
DMC: Robinson/Chambers (with up arrows)
D: Davis/Davies/Williams/Keane (no up arrows)
GK: Goodlad

We can not move up, as 5th place Port Vale has 74 points to our 70, and we can not move down, since we've clinched playoffs, so I basically see this game as almost a friendly and I play a mixture of starters and backups. I even start keeper Mark Goodlad.

They come into the game showing an inventive 4-3-1-2 that I had not seen from another team...

8th minute: They pass it to the edge of our penalty box, past Curtis Davies. Mark Goodlad rushes out but is beaten on the one on one. We're down 0-1.

Nothing else happens. We're not dominated, but we're not dominating either.

Final Score: Luton 0, Cheltenham 1
Shots (on target): Luton 7 (2), Cheltenham 5 (3)
MoM: Cheltenham's Grant McCann with a rating of 8.
HoM: Nobody really stands out once again...

Possession: (us/them)
our zone: 15/14
middle: 16/28
their zone: 12/15

Not a very satisfying way to walk into the playoffs...

Transfer News
Jacob Burns
is looking to move... The midfielder admitted that he has always been excited at the prospect of playing at a higher level and given the interest from Luton would certainly consider any forthcoming offer...

Work Permit News
Ivan Kaviedes
has been granted a conditional work permit for his move to Luton. We confirm the transfer that will go through at the end of his current contract, on September 1st, 2006. I don't know what a conditional work permit means though. Conditional to what, playing football?

Playoffs News
We will play Sheffield Wednesday in the League One Playoff Semi Final. This will be a two leg series with the first leg being played on May 14th at Kenilworth Road and the second leg on the 18th at Sheffield.

These two games being only 4 days apart, I'd like to hope that my great team depth will help me, as it did in the thick of the season, when most every team had games every 3-4 days and we were doing amazingly well...

Looking forward, Sheffield Wed is declared evens favorite for both games, while our odds to win are at 9-4.

We've swept the seasonal series with Sheffield this year, winning first 1-0 at home, and a crazy 2-0 win on their pitch. I say crazy because they had 17 shots, 6 on target, while we had 5 shots, 3 on target in that game.

They have a starting forward currently injured for 2 more weeks, while we have a starting defensive middie in Richard Johnson that is way too unfit to play, following his recent injury. Our player conditions seem to be much better than theirs, but how this will play on the field remains to be seen.

Finally, Sheffield Wednesday were the odds on favorite to win it all this season. At the start of the season, they had odds of 6-4 to win it all, while we had odds of 40-1 :eeks:

Training News
I get a message that Matt Carbon was absent from training today. That's the first time this has ever happened to me, despite reading about it from other dynasties. I didn't understand what people meant about players being absent/missing from training, didn't know where to look for that sort of warning. Now I know

Weird thing is that Carbon is currently injured and I have set him on the "Resting" schedule, with nobody watching over him... I still issue a warning for unprofessional behaviour...

Scouting News
I'm probably getting what Desnudo was talking about with my scouts, as two of them both think that Jacob Burns is not good enough to play at Luton... I still like him, we'll see...

Discipline News
Carbon accepts his warning and acknowledge thathis unprofessional behaviour is unacceptable, and that he deserved a warning. He has indicated a willingness to improve his behaviour in the future.

U18 News
Seems like it's been a while since I've last entertained you with 16yo Kevin Joyce's development. He's now pulling double duty, often playing with the Reserve squad and then the U18 squad. In his latest U18 match, he collected his 5th Man of the Match award in 23 appearances, with a rating of 8, completing 26 of 32 passes, winning 9 of 13 headers, ending the game with a rating of 8. His average rating this season is a very good 7.52.

Playoffs News
The first leg of the other League One Semi Final between Swindon and Port Vale is played today, on the 13th, at Port Vale. Swindon wins it fairly easily, 2-0. They even finished the game with only 10 men, but they were already up by 2 at that point.

FM