View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #18
revrew
Team Chaplain

Week 6: Lansing Keehawks

North Iowa Times
Keehawks Clip Spartans Wings
LANSING—The Lansing KeeHawks have been a surprising team this year, led by an outstanding secondary. With Mar-Mac's starting quarterback out with an injury, the Keehawks "keyed" in on stopping the Spartan passing attack, holding Mar-Mac and reserve QB Marco Ballard scoreless through three quarters. Though Ballard began showing fire in the fourth, including a touchdown pass to TE Seth Hackett, it was too little, too late, as Lansing held off Mar-Mac, 20-14.

For the Spartans, there were few highlights. "We played poorly in every aspect of the game," coach Malone said afterwards. "The O-line didn't make blocks, the D-line didn't get to the QB, and we weren't able to stop them in any aspect of the game." Coach Malone wasn't entirely negative, however: "I give credit to Hunter Flynn for yet another interception—what's that make? Five already? And Lansing's quarterback, Mayes, played very well. A good game by Lansing. They're a squad many people have obviously underestimated."

Yes, Lansing was underestimated, and coach Malone understated Lansing QB Martin Mayes' game as well. Mayes threw for 326 yards and a touchdown.

For the injury-riddled Spartans, there may finally be some rest for the weary. The Spartans host a home game for the first time in 6 weeks next Friday, facing the Valley of Elgin Tigers.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote