View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 07:36 AM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well, in spite of our expectations ...
http://sports.myway.com/news/12272004/v8517.html

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) - For 30 minutes against top-ranked Illinois, Longwood looked like a contender, not a team with only one victory this season.

The Lancers cut a 13-point halftime deficit to seven on Monday night and were down by only eight, 73-65, when the Illini finally buckled down with 9:13 to go.

"We knew we weren't playing with any energy, not playing hard, and they were just getting too many easy baskets," said Deron Williams, whose 3-pointer ignited a deciding 16-0 run to lead the Illini to a 105-79 victory.

The Illini (12-0) held Longwood scoreless for nearly four minutes and built their lead to 98-71 with three minutes remaining.

Both teams now head to Las Vegas for two games later this week as part of the Las Vegas Holiday Classic. Longwood meets No. 22 Cincinnati and Valparaiso. Illinois faces Northwestern State on Thursday and Cincinnati on Friday.