View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 11:13 AM   #12
revrew
Team Chaplain

Week 3: Cresco-ND Crusaders

North Iowa Times
Back and Forth, Spartans Win in Last Minute
CRESCO—Friday night's game between the Mar-Mac Spartans and the Cresco-Notre Dame Crusaders saw more than a half-dozen lead changes, long plays, and last-minute heroics. When the dust settled, Mar-Mac had won, 33-30.

The Crusaders seemed unstoppable, mounting 200+ yards on the ground and 300+ by air, but in the end, big plays killed their chances for a victory. A Crusader fumble gave the Spartans the ball at the Crusader 5, setting up a Spartan score; Spartan safety Hunter Flynn returned an interception 66 yards for a touchdown; and yet, nothing prepared the Crusaders for what would happen in the final two minutes.

With seven minutes to play, the Crusaders kicked a field goal to bring them within two, 23-25. Then, Cresco surprised the Spartans with an onside kick, which the Crusaders recovered. Over the next five minutes, Cresco marched down the field, going ahead on a 20-yard scamper, 30-25. But two minutes was more than enough time for Spartan QB Lincoln Ingram. On second down, Ingram dropped into the pocket and waited for WR Gerald Byrne to "burn" the defense. Ingram threw a long bomb, which floated over the fingertips of the Cresco defenders and into the arms of Byrne. 73 yards Byrne ran for the touchdown. Cresco got the ball back with less than a minute to play, but a sack by Spartan DE Kennedy Eisenbrun ended the drive.

Said Spartans coach Everett Malone, "I talked a few weeks ago about needing talent and believing in yourself. Tonight we added resilience, faith, and character. I couldn't be more proud of these guys." Neither could the Mar-Mac faithful, whose 3-0 Spartans have moved up to #3 in the state, leapfrogging other teams who lost this weekend.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote