View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 01:33 PM   #99
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 14, 2006
away at Sheffield Wednesday (currently 2nd, 7pts ahead of us)
S: Hammond/Howard/Blinkhorn
AMC: Bridge-Wilkinson
DMC Chambers/Johnson (with up arrows)
D: Davis/Williams/Coyne/Foley (full backs with up arrows)

Even though this should be a tough match on the road, I keep the up arrows on both my defensive middies and my full backs. This tactic as served me real well in the last few weeks, why screw it up. One things for sure, I'll be on the lookout to see if we are falling apart and will not hesitate to go on a more defensive scheme if need be.

Scouting them, I see that they played a pretty straight 4-4-2 with moderate push from the wingers in their last match. When I get to the game, I see that their are showing a much stronger push from the wingers, asking them to go way forward, similar to what Boston United did against us in our last match.

7th minute: Kevin Foley gets a loose ball on the right wing. He passes it on to Matthew Blinkhorn whos swiftly crosses the ball, all the way to the edge of the Sheffield's penalty box, a 45 yards pass. Elvis Hammond is there, waiting for the ball, with only the keeper to beat. Confidently, he scores the 1-0 goal.

24th minute: Adam Chambers is injured and has to go off. While on the tactics screen, I take off the up arrows on the defensive midfielders, as they are controlling way too much of what's going on in our defensive zone.

33rd minute: Chris Coyne is the architect of a great set pieces kick from right outside their penalty box. He kicks just over the wall, and scores the 2-0 goal from 20 yards out.

We dodge bullet right and left in this first half, as they outshoot us 12 (3 on target) to 5 (3 on target). Possession numbers are not pretyy either, as they controlled the ball 31% of the time in our defensive zone...

60th minute: Following some good passing in our penalty box, they seem to have scored, but wait, is that a raised flag I see there? Yes, yes it is, OFFSIDE!!!

We shut them down the rest of the game, after I changed our tactics to go to a much shorter passing game, and we hold on to the 2-0 lead to win it, YEAH!!! A clean sheet on their pitch, awesome!!!

Final Score: Luton 2, Sheffield Wednesday 0
Shots (on target): Luton 5 (3), Sheffield Wednesday 12 (3)
MoM: Mark Goodlad, with a ratings of 9. He made many saves, keeping the team in the game. Our whole defensive unit had a big game, as 3 of the 4 defensers had ratings of 8.
Possession: (us/them)
our zone: 9/34
middle: 18/24
their zone: 11/4

We stay in 4th place with the win, but Sheffield drops to 3rd, and we're now only 4 points off... We squashes their winning streak!!!

Team Board News
As would be expected, at least from me, the Luton Team Board are extremely pleased with the win over Sheffield Wednesday. Me, I'm ecstatic

Injury News
Adam Chambers is diagnosed with a damaged elbow, following the Sheffield Wednesday match. He will miss approximately one week. Our next game is only in a week, so he's only expected to miss a game.

FM