View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #11
revrew
Team Chaplain

Behind the Scenes:

Actually, next week is an early-season bye for us. We don't have any significant injuries, so I wish it would have come later in the season. BTW, the #11 ranking above comes from the "Power Ratings," by taking our overall rating and comparing it to both the AFC and NFC. We're technically #5 in the NFC.

The reality here is that our offense is killing, we're getting tons of sacks, but those sacks are covering up an otherwise inept defense. Our tackling percentage is low, we aren't defending any passes, and the only thing allowing us to dominate is the fact that we've been holding fast on 3rd down defense.

So far, the name of the game has been talent and solid drafting. Though only one first-round draft pick (DE Kennedy Eisenbraun) in three years of drafting is really contributing, we boast several 2nd and 3rd round breakouts, even down to the 6th round, which includes all the stars I've been naming. This sure makes drafting high in the second and third round look like the key to success. If this team continues to dominate, I will have to reconsider how I play FOF, as it appears a few key stars, young players, and superior coaching are more effective than my usual route of trying to build a well-balanced team with high cohesion. But it is way too early to make any such judgments. (I might also want to save this gameplan I've been using. Man, is it doing well.)

Around the conference: Garnavillo, Cresco, and Valley of Elgin all lost out-of-conference games, while Lansing gained an upset win. At 2-0, we have sole position of first place.

Through the bye: North Winn destroyed Garnavillo (oops, guess they were overrated), Lansing won again, but over a pathetic MFL (the school which Mar-Mac was consolidated with), and Cresco-ND used big-time defense to crush the formerly offensive Valley of Elgin. It appears as though we'll have our work cut out for us again when we travel to Cresco.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote