View Single Post
Old 12-23-2004, 01:28 AM   #29
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

We finish the preseason 2-2. While we did accumulate several injuries, few of them are key players, and most of the injuries are very minor. However, we did have one setback in our secondary. Our starting FS was injured and will be out for at least the first 6 weeks of the season. Safety is just not a position that I feel confident turning over to a young, unproven rookie, and there are no decent veterans in the free agent pool. So instead I turn to a trade, where I pick up Tyrus Noland, and 8 year veteran that was originally drafted by me back when I was with L. A. Noland is a three time all-pro, and I think that he will be a great addition to this team... at least he better be because I had to give up two 1st round picks and a second round pick to get him from the Vikings.

WEEK 1
Jonesboro Saints @ Atlanta
Going into Week 1, many people think that we are the team to beat in the NFC this season. But of course we have to actually play these games before anyone will give us and trophies. We start off the season with our division rivals, the Saints. Historically we have done very well against Jonesboro, and I expect that to continue today.

Nixon had a solid day, running for 111 yards and a TD on 27 carries as we start of the season with a big 31-21 victory. The key plays in this game happened with 3:44 left in the 3rd quarter, with us ahead 17-14:

1-10-JON49 (03:44) JON 5 Hutchins pass was intercepted by ATL 28 Raymond at the ATL04.
The interception was returned 96 yards for a touchdown!
Extra point by ATL 7 Diaz was good.

Score: Atlanta 24, Jonesboro (AR) 14.
ATL 17 Gerhardt kicked off 58 yards from the ATL30.
JON 88 Schneider returned the ball 2 yards to the JON14. Tackled by ATL 88 McNeil.

Possession to Jonesboro (AR).

1-10-JON14 (03:05) JON 5 Hutchins pass was intercepted by ATL 44 Noland at the JON28.
The interception was returned 28 yards for a touchdown!
Extra point by ATL 7 Diaz was good.

Score: Atlanta 31, Jonesboro (AR) 14.

On back to back plays we ran back interceptions for touchdowns! The second was by our newly acquired FS. It is great to see him paying dividends already. These basically were the deciding plays that turned the momentum completely in our favor.

There are no significant new injuries to report.

NIXON CAREER MILESTONE: In this game, Nixon scored his 28th career rushing TD, breaking Randal Whitfield's team record for most career rushing TDs. Whitfield was a former 2nd round draft pick by the Falcons back in 2013. He played four solid seasons with Atlanta (starting 3) and looked like he might be becoming one of the better RBs in the league. He left the team to join the Bears, and he just fell off the map. The Bears, unimpressed with his performance, let him go to the Browns. He played the 2018 season with Cleveland. The Browns let him go at the end of the season, and no one else ever game him another shot. He is now working as a new car salesman, selling Saturns in Tempe, Arizona.

Last edited by stkelly52 : 12-26-2004 at 01:59 AM.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote