View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 11:03 AM   #93
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

January 1st, 2006
home vs Wrexham (currently 10th, 6 points behind us)
S: Showunmi/Howard/Blinkhorn
AMC: Jones
DMC: Chambers/Johnson (both with up arrows)
D: Davis/Davies/Coyne/Keane (full backs with up arrows)

This is the 3rd of 3 very close games, but we'll get a break after that, as our next game is only on January 7th. The break we get is that Wrexham also played on the 26th and 28th, so we should be even. They played a 3-5-2 formation in their last match, with the five middies on a straight line. I also see that Alan Neilson, former Hatter, is now playing for them.

When I get to the match, I see that they are putting some twist in their tactics, drawing back their two wingers with very long down arrows. I guess they are adjusting to our attacking firepower, or I'd like to think it is so...

The first half is pretty uneventful, as they are clearly going for the 0-0 tie. We get 6 shots, with only one on target, while they don't even get one. Lack of shot for them can easily be explained with us controlling the ball 39% of the time, IN THEIR ZONE!!!

92nd minute: In the middle of 4 minutes of injury time, we finally break the tie following a throw in by Keith Keane to Steve Robinson, who centers a long ball accross the field, to the far post, where Enoch Showunmi takes it and scores, right inside the left goal post...

We escape this one at the last minute...

Final Score: 1, Wrexham 0
Shots (on target): Luton 12 (4), Wrexham 0 (0)
MoM: Sol Davis, with a ratings of 8. He completed 31 of 38 passes, with 8 key passes.
Possession:
our zone: 3/10
middle: 21/21
their zone: 40/5

I'm trying to find a way to report possession numbers, but they look weird. Anyway, "Our zone", "middle", and "Their zone" represent when the ball was in our defensive zone, the central zone, our their defensive zone. For both, the first number is our possession percentage, while the second is theirs... As you can see in this game, we spent close to half the game while controlling the ball IN THEIR ZONE!!!

We move to 4th place with the win, awesome!!!

However, I learn that Richard Johnson has damaged his elbow and will miss a week. Good thing our next game is only in 6 days...