View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 10:17 AM   #91
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Contract News
December 31 comes and with it, about half a ton of message from my assistant manager, reminding me about all of my players, and players on my shortlist, that enter the last 6 months of their current contracts. I'll first detail what I think of our own players with contracts coming to terms...

Elvis Hammond is asking for $3800 a week. I'm very unsure of offering that kind of money for a player who can sort of disappear at times. For now, I'm gonna wait.

Steve Howard is still not interested in renewing with Luton, per his agent. This saddens me a great deal. Renewing him for 2005 was a long and tough back and forth negotiation that ended with a $5800 a week contract, with a significant signing fee. I'm thorn on this one. I have plenty of strikers, and will probably want to carry many again next season, at least 6 starting caliber strikers, so I may have to cut somewhere. Also, when Howard got injured, I felt like the other strikers were sort of able to pick up the slack left by the loss of the 29yo striker. For now, I'm going to wait.

Russell Perrett is currently earning 1400 a week and is of no use to the team, and probably won't be until his contract ends. I release him on a free, this costs us only $36,000.

Mark Williams, who's earning $3000 right now, is saying he would accept a pay cut to $2800 a week. He's been of great use this season, but I'll probably go for a younger centreback for next season, so I don't offer him a new contract.

Bobby Wilde is a weird one. He basically has no skills, other than great crossin and corner skills, and some physical abilities, yet he gets good form ratings. He's earning $600 right now and since he's been transfer listed all season, he's unsure if he wants to sign back with the team. I may offer him a contract later on, if I can get him to sign for something around 600 or less... He's definitely a bargain for a backup at that price.

Next are three youngsters in SC Luke Maitland, D RLC Nick Mountford, and MC Sean Ridgeway. All three have very limited skills and I don't expect to offer them contracts.

Michael Leary is a center midfielder earning a fair $700 a week as a developmental project, playing with the reserve team. He never really developped into a player that could break into the starting lineup. I'm still unsure if I want to offer him anything.

Stephen O'Leary is a 20yo M RC, earning $400 a week right now. Similar to Leary, he's playing with the reserves. I'm also unsure if I want to offer him a contract...

Keeper Rob Beckwith wants $600 a week, the exact same wage he is currently earning. He could easily take the place of Mark Goodlad if he were to fall to injury, so I offer him a $600 a week contract for 3 years.

Reserve goalkeeper Dean Brill is still young (20) but I'm doubting he'll ever develop into a good keeper as I've never seen him with more than 8 at handling. Still, his earning only400 a week on his current contract and could be worth keeping around, in case of double injuries to my two first team keepers.

Backup keeper Dino Seremet, 25yo, is currently earning $1100 a week. He wants $1350 but I find this a bit high for a perennial backup who's not seen the field with the first team in two seasons. I will wait before deciding to make him an offer...

Striker Enoch Showunmi, whom I call "Show", is crazy. He wants $6800 a week, plus $12000 in signing fee. The team board won't allow more than $6000 for a key player, which Show just isn't. My assistant, Mick Harford, tells me that Show is a undervalued member of our first team and that I should offer him a contract valued at about...... $2400 a week. At that level, I would be more than okay with resigning Show to a new contract, but until he comes back to earth, I'll wait before offering him anything. He's 23yo and will turn 24 on April 21, so he isn't subject to the Bosman rule yet. I'll keep a good eye on the striker who's currently valued at $750k.

Among players outside of my team, one is really interesting me. Rowan Vine, a striker from Swindon that was on loan with us for the whole 2004-05 season, season where he scored 13 competitive goals for our club. He's 23yo with some great skills and has been on the transfer list for quite a while now. While he is valued at $1.7M, Swindon is "only" asking 650k for him, saying he doesn't fit into their plans. His contract expires on March 3, 2006, but he's currently on loan at Portsmouth. I'll keep a close check on him, and could possible make some kind of low offer, with all of the $236k that I have left in my transfer budget...

I'm also intrigued by striker Mark Smyth, who is on loan at our club, from Liverpool. He's a 20yo center striker with some skills who is now playing exclusively on our reserve team. At some point, some of my coaches were saying not to bother pursuing him, while others were saying he could develop into a good player, and one of my scouts said he was a player with potential, that's got me a bit confused. Looking at him, he's not as well rounded as some of my other strikers. He's on loan with us until the end of the season, currently transfer listed with an asking price of $180k, while he is valued at $850k.

FM