View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 11:08 AM   #80
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

December 10, 2005
away vs Doncaster (currently 14th, only 1 point behind us)
S: Blinkhorn/Howard/Hammond
AMC: Mansell
DMC Wilde/Robinson
D: Davis/Williams/Davies/Foley
GK: Beckwith

I see they play a 4-2-4 formation, the kind of formation that has given me fits in the past.

3rd minute: Sold Davis plays too aggressively and way to far forward, which leaves a man open behind him. They convert a good 1-2 combination into the first goal of the game. We go down 0-1 early.

6th minute: We get right back at them, as Lee Mansell, following a few quick exchanges, fires a 35 yards screamer that deflects off a defender, leaving the keeper on the ground on the wrong side of the goal. We tie, 1-1.

26th minute: a great combination Howard-Hammond-Howard finishes with a centered ball headed straight in by Steve Howard. We take the lead, 2-1.

39th minute: Things are looking good as Sold Davis flight a 40 yard pass down the left, to Matthew Blinkhorn. The keeper rushes out, but Blinkhorn is quick enough to hit the long shot. We take another one, up 3-1.

44th minute: While waiting to get to the tactics screen, where I want to sub out Rob Beckwith since he's not having a good game (5 ratings at the time), I see them mount an attack, charging right up the middle, with a nice center that's headed straight in. We're still up, but now by only 1, 3-2. I take Beckwith out of the game, Mark Goodlad comes in.

58th minute: The ball rebounds between 3 or 4 players in our penalty box, before falling to the feet of one of their strikers, who wastes no time, scoring the tying goal. 3-3.

69th minute: A wild game that just gets wilder, as Elvis Hammond scores a sensational goal after dribbling the ball through a maze of Doncaster defenders. We're back up 4-3

87th minute: Hot dang!!! Our defenders just can't keep up with their four strikers as they easily center a ball from the left, and they convert for yet another tying goal.

At that moment, I realize one thing. I had set my defenders to play push up and play the off side trap. That being said, I realize we have drawn them offside only twice, while our own team has commited 4 offside already. Maybe our defenders are not really good at executing the trap, or their strikers are very bright. Anyway, I take the defenders off the offside trap tactic and tell them to play a bit deeper. I had also told the players to play "super defensive" following our latest go ahead goal, since I'm kinda pissed, I tell them "screw it, we'll outscore them, or we'll die", as I set them to an "all out attack" mentality.

88th minute: The tactic changes pay off immediately, as I watch Adam Chambers pump a high, long ball over a defender. Howard takes it on the run and hits a perfect half volley, giving us the lead again, now 5-4.

91st minute: Keeper Mark Goodlad clears is area with a long kick toward Mark Jones. Following a few exchanges in the middle section of the field, Jones passes the ball to Howard for the finish. He's got a HAT TRICK!!! We're now up 6-4.

A wild, wild, wild game, in which we lose Lee Mansell for 5 days because of a thigh sprain.

Final Score: Luton 6, Doncaster 4
Shots (on target): Luton 15 (9), Doncaster 13 (6)
MoM: Steve Howard, easily, with a ratings of 10 and a hat trick. Many other players had very good games, as 4 others had ratings of 8 and Goodlad, the subbed in keeper, gets a 9 for his 47 minutes of work.

We move up to 9th. It's encouraging, even though we're still a good 5 points off the 6th place and a spot in the playoffs.

FM