View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 10:10 AM   #2
revrew
Team Chaplain

A High School Challenge - Behind the Scenes

This dynasty will be conducted in two parallel tracks: 1. The fictitious narrative of a high school football quest, and 2. The behind-the-scenes adaptation of the Front Office Football A.I engine (through house rules) to simulate the high school football experience.

Now, admittedly, TCY may be better equipped for this kind of dynasty, but I don't own TCY. Neither do I own FOF5, so this dynasty will use house rules to modify the now antiquated FOF2K1. Those of you that follow will just have to reminisce about the old (and, IMO, still the best) version of FOF.

The above story line about Mar-Mac High School (except for the events of 2020 and beyond, of course) is accurate, based on my own experience as a graduate of Mar-Mac (in 1991, the second-to-last class to graduate as Spartans).

House Rules for this challenge:
1. Quick sim to 2017. I'll stop simming at about 2017 in order to make roster cuts without incurring huge cap penalties for when this dynasty begins in 2020. This date will allow for the final expansions and stadium improvements. I will conduct the drafts myself in 2017-2019, in order to build a current high school student body for 2020.
2. The old NFC West will be modified in city names and team names to reflect the original members of the Upper Mississippi Valley conference, with the Spartans playing as the Rams (as the Spartan colors were blue and gold).
3. All other NFL teams will further be adapted to incorporate various school districts from (mostly) northeastern Iowa. I welcome those with knowledge of NE Iowa to submit team names from local high schools in the area. (i.e., the Falcons will be renamed the Garnavillo Hawks—the Spartans most heated rival—the Panthers renamed the Cresco-Notre Dame Crusaders, etc.)
4. In order to correlate to the high school experience, the only players allowed on the Spartan roster are rookies (freshman) through 4th year players (seniors). Once a player racks up 4 years of experience, he "graduates" and thus is removed from the Spartan roster.
5. I will not sign anyone from the free agency pool except my own drafted players (until their 4th year) and undrafted rookie free agents. A small high school like Mar-Mac simply wouldn't have access to "free agents".
6. Likewise, I will accept no trade that involves another team's players. Neither will I trade away any player that still has athletic eligibility.
7. I don't care two bits about money management.
8. Using undeveloped players with virtually zero cohesiveness will greatly hamper the Spartans chances of winning. We will be loveable losers, I suspect. I therefore allow myself this one advantage: I may sign players to five year contracts, and in the fifth year of their eligibility, trade up to 3 graduated seniors for as many draft picks as I can get. I will not, however, trade draft picks for draft picks in an effort to take unfair advantage of the A.I. Trades will be kept fair through my judgement.
9. I cannot conduct trades with any member of the UMVC.
10. The goals of this dynasty are two-fold: 1. Win an Upper Mississippi Valley Conference (NFC West) title. If that is achieved, and if at all possible, we will move through the state playoffs and take our shot at a state championship (SuperBowl). Success, however, is simply winning the UMV Conference.
11. Finally, where possible, I will track the careers of beloved Spartans through their 8th year of play (considered "college years"), and should any former Spartan continue in success beyond that—I may track his career in the "pros."

I will (approximately) alternate between the high school narrative and the FOF background, to give you a comprehensive look at this High School Challenge.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote