View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #34
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

November 9, 2005
home vs Barnsley (currently 19th, only 3 points behind us)

S: Hammond/Howard/Blinkhorn
AMC: Jones
DMC: Johnson/Chambers
D: Carbon/Williams/Coyne/Foley
Being at home, the forward arrows are back for the fullbacks and AMC Jones is played way up top, right behind the strikers. I don't always do much scouting on my opponents. Sometimes I'm only too anxious to get out and play, and sometimes I make adjustments as I get to the game. It was the case in this game, when I saw that Barnsley was going to play some 4-4-2 diamond formation. I had set my team to try pushing the passes through the middle. That diamond in the middle kind of persuaded me to change this to at least a mixed distribution of passes... In the 13th minute, an amazing long cross pass from Kevin Foley, from deep on the right, all the way to the middle of their defensive zone, creates a great opportunity for Steve Howard. He makes the best of it, converting the one-on-one with the keeper for the 1-0 goal. For my North American friends, think of that pass as a long bomb, 45 yardish, from a QB rolling to his right, passing right in the middle of the field, behind the safety and the receiver catches it in stride. It was a beauty Even the commentator couldn't believe it, saying that Foley's superb vision made the goal... They tie the score with some great passing right around our penalty box, spinning some of our defenders out of their shorts. 1-1 was the score then, it will be the final score...
Final Score: Luton 1, Barnsley 1
Shots (on target): Luton 8 (4), Barnsley 5 (1)
MoM: Barnsley's Liam Nalis with a ratings of 8
Hatter of the Match: Kevin Foley with a ratings of 8, but even if he had played as crap the rest of the game, I'd have been tempted to give it to him anyway, if only for that amazing pass

Hatter of the Match will be known as HoM in the future and isn't an official award given by the game. It's only something I'll do whenever the Man of the Match award is given to a player from the other team...

Following the draw, we drop to 13th place after 15 games out of a schedule of 46, or almost one third into the season. I'll take this for now, as this is much better than the 21st-23rd position we held at about the same time last season...

International Roundup (part 1, Nov. 12)
Kevin Foley played well for the Ireland U21 squad before being replaced, getting a ratings of 7. Keith Keane also made the trip but didn't play. Mark Williams cam in as a sub for the North Ireland national team and played fairly well, also getting a ratings of 7.

International Roundup (part 2, Nov. 16)
Kevin Foley and Keith Keane were both said to have solid performances for the Ireland U21 squad.

Injury News
An ankle injury will keep Matthew Blinkhorn away from the field for a period of two weeks. It sucks, but we don't lack depth as far as strikers go, so we should be all right.

Transfer News
As I do every once in a while, I decide to offer one of my higher valued players, that I feel isn't delivering as much as I'd expect, to other teams. Striker Enoch Showunmi has been on the transfer list for a long while and I decide to offer him to other teams for the discounted price of $500k. His value is currently at $700k. A day pass and replies come in that *nobody* is interested in Showunmi, oh well...

Injury News
As our long break is coming to an end, we get more training injury happening. Defender Sol Davis and striker Bartosz Tarachulski will both miss 5 days with injuries. Matt Carbon will play left defender for Davis, while I'll find somebody to fill in for Bart among my stable of strikers...

Loan/Contract News
Stuart Sinclair comes back from his loan at Conference side Cambridge City. While he was there for 3 months, with them paying every penny of his tiny $150 weekly wage, and they didn't play him, not even once!!! He says he is frustrated, that he really thought he was going to gain first team experience by going on loan. As we are sitting in my office, I tell him: "Stu, you are a good kid, but let's be honest, you are not a very good ball player, and you know what, I don't even want to pay you $150 a week... Stu, you're fired" *cue in Apprentice theme music*

FM