View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #213
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Strike Gold

Jets Strike Gold

The Jets traveled into San Francisco tied with New England for second place in the AFC East, one-half game behind Miami. The team needed the victory to continue its drive towards the playoffs.

On a rainy day the Jets did just that, they defeated the Forty-Niners, 13-10 in a physical game. The Jets offense held the ball for nearly thirty-eight minutes, while running the ball for a total of forty-two times. Martin (22 car, 64 yards) was the leading carrier. Pennington completed 19 of 29 passes for 185 yards, none were bigger than the 4th down completion late in the fourth quarter to seal the victory. On a 4th and 4 with 1:16 remaining in the game the Jets led 13-10, Coach McGregor passed on the chance to kick a 33-yard field goal and turn the ball back over to San Francisco. Pennington took the snap from Mawae took a quick drop and fired a bullet to Chrebet for 9 yards, and the game.

"Looking back at the play, I guess it was a little more of a risk than I thought. However, we made it, and it looks like a great call. If we missed it I am sure I would have been questioned. But, looking at the situation, the field was a little torn up, Brien had missed an earlier attempt, I just did not want to put our kicker in that situation. Chad felt like we had the right play called, he was told that if it was not there, take the timeout and then we would kick. I guess he saw what he wanted?" McGregor stated after the game.

With Miami's lost to St.Louis the Jets now are in first place of the AFC East with their big showdown with the Dolphins next week. The Jets will be without Travis Claridge, who has had a difficult time staying healthy this season, and Cowart is listed as questionable. Pennington, McKenzie and Shepherd are all listed as probable.
New York Jets
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote