View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #210
mmarra82
High School Varsity

One Yard Victory

One Yard Victory

The New York Jets were sloppy for the first 57:31, in which they mustered just three points and 164 yards in offense, however, they trailed by just six, 9-3. The Jets took over the ball with 2:29 remaining, needing to go 89 yards in order to keep their playoff goal alive. On the first play Curtis Martin scampered 19 yards, the Jets in hurry up offense got one more play off, a 1-yard run in to the middle of the line by Martin, as the two minute warning came. The Jets now would only be able to stop the clock two more times, and they still needed to go 69 yards. After an incomplete pass on second down the Jets faced a 3rd and 9. Pennington would be sacked for an 8-yard loss, and the game seemingly over. However, on fourth down Pennington hit Moss for a 19 yard completion to keep the drive alive. In hurry up offense Pennington threw two straight incompletions before striking Moss again, this time for 15 yards, and into San Diego territory 57 seconds remaining, the Jets used their second timeout. Pennington than hit Moss once again, this one, the long one that was needed, 33 yards, however, Moss did not get out of bounds forcing the Jets to use their last time out. After two straight incompletions into the endzone the Pennington struck Calico who came up short getting into the endzone. With the clock running down and 4th down on the 1-yard line, the Jets had to run a quick play, Pennington called a run up the middle that Martin scored on easily, and gave the Jets the victory.

"When I hit Tyrone on 3rd down, I thought he could get it in. I got to the line, called the play just once, the line heard me as well as Curtis, and they did the rest to give us the score," said Pennington.

"When Chad threw the ball to Tyrone, I thought we had just lost the game, I did not think that we would have the chance to get the ball off. The officials did briefly delay in spotting the ball, what could have been just the time needed for Chad to call the play and get it off," said Coach McGregor.

The victory moved the Jets into the final playoff spot with four games remaining. The Jets must travel to San Francisco next week and play the struggling 49ers, however, after that they must head down to Miami to face the first place Dolphins.
New York Jets

Last edited by mmarra82 : 12-10-2004 at 04:27 PM.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote