View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 11:06 AM   #181
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Brown Sacks

Brown Sacks

Hempstead, NY - A poor fourth quarter by the Jets on offense and defense resulted in a 28-25 loss in Cleveland yesterday. Chad Pennington was looking sharp through three quarters with the Jets leading 17-14. Then, a critical pass was intercepted by Cleveland's Dre' Bly changing the momentum of the game. With the Jets leading and moving deep into Cleveland territory Bly timed a Pennington pass perfectly intercepting the ball on his own 15 and returning it 29 yards. Cleveland would keep the momentum going and punch it in to take a 21-17 lead. Cleveland would score once more before the Jets made the game look closer than it was with a late touchdown.

Once again the Jets running game was not there. Curtis Martin who is struggling carried the ball only 14 times for 45 yards. Jordan did not fare much better, going 11 carries for 35 yards. The stat line for Pennington looks good, 16 for 25, 278 yards and two touchdowns, however, the interception is the throw he remembers. "I let one get away from me at a critical point of the game. I let my team down today. I don't know what else to say." Kevin Mawae added, "we made too many mistakes to win the game today, this is not on Chad, he played a great game. Perhaps if we could have gotten our running game going today, Chad would not have had to make that throw."

Defensively the Jets woes continues. The Jets gave up 373 yards to the Browns, who have been averaging under 300 yards in total offense during the season. The Jets did get some pressure on Couch this week, but still not enough. Couch who has struggled at time this season, completed 19 of 26 for 249 yards and 2 touchdowns. Although the Browns running game averaged just 3.4 yards per carry, it was effective, as the Browns used 7 different players to carry the ball. Jacoby Shepherd was effective in his first start at cornerback, he shut out his receivers, while Molden struggled once again at the nickel position.

Perhaps the Jets can find their winning ways in Buffalo next week. The Bills are 2-4-1 on the season. The Jets defeated the Bills on opening day, 21-18. The Jets got through the game with no injuries to report.
New York Jets
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote