View Single Post
Old 03-01-2003, 03:37 AM   #8
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Okay, it sounds like a little guidance is in order here. Let me see if I can help matters some...

I don't want to get into the nitty-gritty details of how the game works, its mechanics, and things like that. You give orders for the troops you have at your disposal, and I will carry out those orders within the game as best I can.

Here is an example:

Ardent Enthusiast has command of Infantry Company A, which is responsible for zone four. I mentioned that the tree line comes to an end at an old graveyard and a rice paddy right next to it. Ardent might give the following orders.

"samifan24, I'd like your platoon to set up at the edge of the treeline facing the graveyard. damnMikeBrown, set up second platoon at the edge of the tree line to cover the rice paddy. Third platoon will be spread out just behind these two platoons, to act as a local reserve. My machinegun platoon will be dispersed through samifan24 and damnMikeBrown's platoons to provide fire support for the infantry. And since I'm such a tough guy, I'm going to place my headquarters platoon right between the two forward infantry platoons."

I look at this kind of like a role-playing game of sorts. You tell me what you want the units at your disposal to do, and I will report on what happens as the battle progresses.

Tasan, as an armor platoon commander, you have five tanks at your disposal. You will probably want to hear from your captain, WSUCougar first, to find out what he would like you to do. But the specifics are up to you. He might tell you to provide close fire support for one of the infantry platoons. Then your orders might be...

"We'll set up in a staggered line just behind the infantry line we're supposed to support. My tank will be in the middle, with two tanks on either side of mine. Once contact is made with the enemy, we will move forward to the infantry line and open fire."

Also, feel free to put as much or as little into this as you want. For those of you that want to give detailed orders, I will follow them as closely as the game will allow. If you don't want to give orders regularly, that's fine too. I will handle running your units and will report as to their activity.

If the whole thing feels strange, then by all means, just sit back and observe for a little while. Perhaps when things are a little more familiar, you will be more comfortable issuing orders.

I hope this helps to clarify things a bit. Use your imagination, and I will do my best to answer any questions you might have.

Let me know if more clarification is needed.

Also, feel free
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)

Last edited by DataKing : 03-01-2003 at 03:56 AM.
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote