View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 06:36 PM   #49
Co-D'ohs
H.S. Freshman Team

Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz:

Week 12
Wow! That interview was a surprise. Wonder who tipped them off. This could be a close call. The more we lose, the more suspicious they get, and the more I get concerned about losing my job at the end of the season. As much as I hate to say it, it might be nice to win a game or two here in the home stretch to save my job. Even that may not help. Our fate in largely in the hands of Buddha now, as we have played most of our cards.

In other news, we now have 6 players listed as “out” for this week’s game. Most of them are starters with lots of talent. These poor injury ratings for our coordinators are starting to pay off.

Recruiting
Our recruiting class blossoms to five players, but still no movement from the Rudy Scholarship potentials, Mr. Neely and Mr. Sherman.

The Game
#124 Central Florida! Only Central Michigan is worse. This has to be considered our first big game: our first legitimate chance to dance with the lowlife of college football and come out on the losing end of things. We stand at 2-5; they are 1-8. Can we do it?

The Result
Oh, so close again! We were down 21-13 late in the 4th quarter when we put together a lighting fast drive capped by a Barnes-Linville TD pass, and then converted to tie the game 21-21 with 3 minutes to go. Central Florida followed with a play stolen from our book, as they stalled on the next drive and followed it with a 22-yard punt which gave us the ball on their 35. A couple of plays later, FB Briggs, yes concussion-ridden Briggs, rumbled 25 yards for a game-winning TD. The bastard. Final score: Notre Dame 28, Central Florida 21.

As awful as this sounds, I am actually ok with the loss here. My sleep is haunted by nightmares of getting the axe at the end of the year. I have to believe three or four wins would be a much safer place to be than 2-9. And again, we were so very close to losing today that I have to believe we can get there next year. We are knocking on the door! Knock, knock, last place! We’re coming on down! Make room at the bottom of the pile for Notre Dame University!!!!!!!

Record: 3-5, Rank #76

Well, that does it for today! Tomorrow we’ll head east to play #102 (3-6) Connecticut. This could be the last victory we would have to endure, as we follow with #41 BC, and #17 Penn State. Those should be two fun games to watch!!!! See you tomorrow! GO IRISH!!! Yee-haw!!!
Co-D'ohs is offline   Reply With Quote