View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 06:28 PM   #37
Co-D'ohs
H.S. Freshman Team

Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz:

Week 7
Whoops! I made a Bozo no no. I read the ranking wrong! We are at #64! Silly me. I was reading the coaches’ rankings, which have us now at #40. But the overall ranking has us much further down the chart. We are over halfway!!!! And last year, we didn’t end up #2. We were #4. Silly me. If I only had a brain. Anyway, these intermediate numbers really are such meaningless trifle. Our focus is on the very bottom which, despite our consecutive losses and momentum, has to be a huge longshot this year. If we are to have any chance of hitting bottom this year, we will need to run the table in the next five games, all of them against the weak, bumbling opponents of the Independent League.

The Game
It starts with #114 Utah State. We are 14-point home favorites against this 1-3 team. A good test.

Result
Again, so close! We almost had them! We really tried hard though. Up 7-3 in the 3rd quarter, QB Barnes managed to fumble the ball deep in our territory to give Utah State a quick TD and a 10-7 lead. We traded punts for a bit then our offense put together a long drive. But RB Gray came through for us again, fumbling the ball on the Utah State 15 and killing that chance. But the gods were not with us today, because our lame kicker Bart Cohen managed a tying field goal with 2 minutes to go, and a winning one as time ran out. Final score Notre Dame 13, Utah State 10.

Purely off record, as I wouldn’t want to be quoted on this, I am not that disappointed with our victory today. We played a lousy team close again, and it shows that the Louisiana-Monroe game was not a fluke. And as Airhog alluded, it is probably a good thing if we were to win 5-6 games this year. I know, I know. Blasphemy! Wash my mouth out with soap! But think about it. I might get fired if we were to lose 9 or 10 games, and I think even one win might be too much for us to achieve #125 in a given season. Since we can’t get the ultimate prize this year, ideally we want lose enough to drop way down in the coaches’ rankings, but not far enough so that we get fired. This is the set-up year. With a 5-6 season, we’ll be in perfect position. Then, next year, yes, next year, we strike for the ultimate prize! Patience, patience, patience. The HUGE question is whether a 5-6 or 6-5 season gets us fired at the end of the year. THAT is the fear that keeps me tossing in my sleep.

Record 2-2, Rank #53

Tomorrow we’ll travel to #119 Navy. Another test; this one’s a notch further down the line. See you tomorrow! Till then, go support your Trojans!

GO IRISH!!! Yee-haw!!!
Co-D'ohs is offline   Reply With Quote