View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 11:50 AM   #36
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
End of May, 1944

Central
A May draws to a close, the troops of V Corp are still slogging it out on Guam. With the airfields secure and repaired, Army, Navy, and Marine air assets have moved to the island. Bombers of all makes (B-24s, B-25s, Helldivers, Avengers, Corsair FBs) are in place to begin the heated campaigns for Tinian and Saipan.

US Navy ships operating the Mariana's area have located and sunk a large force of Japanese mine layers. Navy intel suspects these ships were moving to mine the approaches to Saipan.

The Campaign for Guam has taxed the surface fleet, and much of it has been recalled to Pearl Harbor and the US for repairs. The retiring Carriers and Battleships will be replaced by the new to the fleet CVs Ticonderoga and Bennington. The Essex class carriers returning to Pearl will be given upgraded AAA armaments. Repairs to the fleet are expected to delay ground operations against Saipan until mid to late July.

Southwest (NG)
Operations on NG have slowed due to lack of sea support. Land based aircraft continue to strike positions at Wewak and Madang.

Southwest (DEI)
Lead elements of the 6th AUS division has captured Benjarmasin with not much of a fight. A soon as the division completely disembarks, the 2nd Brigade will begin the march north to Balikpapan. The Benjarmasin base is being considered by General Bradley as primary airbase for operations against Japanese forces in Java. The 2nd AUS division captured Samrinda in a dawn attack that caught Japanese defenders napping. The 2nd division will begin a southward move to Balikpapan once support troops can be moved to Samrinda.