View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #46
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I don't know Grant Hill's contract, but I'm going to assume that he's not in his final year. Given that, I think it's a great trade for the Magic. Obviously, Grant Hill has had major injury issues, so I wouldn't expect him to be durable. Why continue to eat his contract? They can take on Ilgauskas, put him on the injured list, and then they have extra cap room next year. I don't know how many of the salary cap rules are written into TPB, but there may be enough to make me say that Orlando did a hell of a job in clearing up salary cap issues. Of course, if Hill is also in the final year of his contract, then the whole trade doesn't make any sense to me.

Great analysis PT - I don't believe Hill is in his contract year either. Don't forget this other factor - Ilgauskas in his contract year so while they might take him just to clear out the cap room for the offseason, they also may want him because now they possess his bird rights and can resign him to a max deal - Ilgauskas is a pretty decent center in a league where centers are few and far between. So the Magic can go either way and the chance of Hill staying healthy for the entire season is slim to none. IMO, that was brilliant move by the CPU Orlando GM and they are setup to either be able to drop a load of money on some guy in the offsesason or can resign Ilgauskas to a long term deal - either way next season they will end up with something they had no shot in hell of having by having Grant Hill on the roster.