View Single Post
Old 11-04-2004, 10:34 AM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
Purchased the game and started one as the Cavs. See 1 minor bug/error to me. In the 2nd game of the season Illgauskas went down for the season. I was then able to trade him, even though he's in the final year of his contract AND out for the season. Granted the trade was for Grant Hill, but he's been healthy so far this year and is dropping 15 and 6.

Not totally sure this is a stupid trade technically, but to me it was dumb for the magic.

I don't know Grant Hill's contract, but I'm going to assume that he's not in his final year. Given that, I think it's a great trade for the Magic. Obviously, Grant Hill has had major injury issues, so I wouldn't expect him to be durable. Why continue to eat his contract? They can take on Ilgauskas, put him on the injured list, and then they have extra cap room next year. I don't know how many of the salary cap rules are written into TPB, but there may be enough to make me say that Orlando did a hell of a job in clearing up salary cap issues. Of course, if Hill is also in the final year of his contract, then the whole trade doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know how much you follow the real NBA, but there were several teams trying to get their hands on Terrell Brandon last year. Brandon was seriously injured, and everyone was 99% sure that he'd never play again. That's exactly why people wanted him. His salary (plus the salaries of any players traded away for him) would essentially become cap space for 2004-05.