View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 PM   #17
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93
I see there are prospects from college, high school, and overseas. Anyway to go indepth and scout these guys? If so is there actually a big time risk/reward with high school players. IE having to wait 7-8 years in some instances to see any kind of worthwhile play from that high school senior you took #1, while that college senior that went #16 steps in and drops 15 a game. Is this general rule of thumb in the game?

Prior to the draft you get 15 players to invite for a workout. Thats the only way to really scout the draft eligible players.

High School players definately take a while to develop, in general. For example, Using Memphis I had the #5 and number #12 pick in the draft. I used the #5 pick on what appeared to be an excellent SG that was 22 years old. With the #12 pick I rolled the dice on a High School PF that my scouts thought had some nice potential. After the Summer League games I went in to check their ratings and potential and the SG was rated 3 current and 4.5 potential. The PF was rated 1 current and 5 potential. So the SG was ready to play from day 1 and played quite well that season, while the PF really struggled. He did show signs of his potential. He had a 30 point game at the end of the season, but still ended up averaging less than 5 a game.

I've also seen some of the high schoolers play reasonably well as rookies. The player development in this game is nearly spot on. The NBA draft has become a crap shoot in recent years and TPB does a great job of recreating it. Two other High School big men I was interested went just before the PF I selected and they didn't end up panning out at all. A combination of luck and good scouting.

Last edited by The_herd : 11-03-2004 at 07:22 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote