View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 11:14 PM   #9
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

WEEK 1
Atlanta vs. Carolina Panthers
The Panthers come into town favored by 8. They have a solid running game and a great pass defense. Fortunately, they have some big weaknesses against the run. This could be a good team for Nixon to start with.

This was a great start for our undrafted RB. Nixon took the ball on Atlanta's first play and picked up 8 yards. On the second play he carried for 14 more. Nixon continued to have the bulk of the action and capped off the opening drive with a 2 yard TD. On the second Falcon drive Nixon had carries of 6, 27, 4, and 1, the 1 being a 1 yard TD run, his second of the game. Atlanta played a solid game on both sides of the ball for three quarters, taking a 31-3 lead 14 seconds into the fourth. Then the team just seamed to run out of steam as the Panthers racked up 21 unanswered points. But it was too little too late for the Panthers and a late field goal by us put the game out of reach, 34-24.

Leland had 27 carries for 130 yards and 2 TDs in his first performance. He had no receptions and importantly, he had no fumbles. Leland and his two guards are listed as some of the key players of the weak.

WEEK 2
Atlanta @ L.A. Chargers (1-0)
It is strange coming into this stadium as a visitor. L.A. enters this game as a perennial playoff contender. The Chargers are a team that I built, and I built them well. It will be tough to run the ball against these guys. The only real weakness that they have is at QB, as the star QB, Moe Swift, left via free agency. Hopefully this will be a big enough weakness.

This game was never even close. The Chargers scored on their 3rd play and never looked back. When the dust settled we were on the wrong end of a 27-3 thrashing, thanks in part to 3 interceptions.

On the positive side of things, Nixon again eclipsed the century mark with 122 yards on 31 carries, and again he had no fumbles. Nixon was the only member of the Falcons to make the league’s list of key players in week 2.

WEEK 3
Seattle Seahawks (1-1) @ Atlanta
Seattle was once one of the most dominant teams in the NFC, but in the past 10s they have by in large been one of the league’s patsies. Last season they were a league worst 2-14. Only two teams in the history of the league have had worse years. However, this year, the ‘hawks have already won one game this year (against New England). Seattle has a weak rushing defense, so I would expect to see Nixon do well this week. We are favored by four in this game.

We are favored by four, and we win by four, 26-21. I am a little disappointed by our defense’s performance. We gave up two TDs in the fourth quarter to erase our 19-7 lead and go down by three. Fortunately, Nixon was able to cap off a 4 minute, 67 yard drive with a 2 yard TD plunge to put the good guys ahead for good with under a minute left in the game. Leland Nixon was the star of this game, earning his first MVP award. Nixon was a work horse, carrying the ball 40 times for 161 yards and 2 TDs. He also caught his first passes of the season, 2 for 10 yards.

Unfortunately, the game was costly on the injury front. 7 players, 5 of them starters, were injured in the game. Among the injured are starting C Bob Geis (10 weeks) and starting LT Casey Shea (3 weeks). Losing the two of them really hurts Nixon because they are both excellent blockers. And with no cap room, we are unable till fill their spots on the roster.

WEEK 4
Atlanta @ Philadelphia Eagles (1-2)
We head into week four as 2 point underdogs. The good news for us is that two of the Eagles key run stoppers are out with injuries. If our O line had just managed to stay healthy, I think the odds would be much more in our favor.

Without 2/5ths of his line Nixon was unable to have as much success, being held under 100 yards for the first time in his career. But thanks to solid defensive work it was enough to eek out a 16-12 victory.

Nixon ran 27 times for 96 yards and the game’s lone TD. Another lineman, LG Kyle Conklin, was injured in the game, but he should be able to play through his injury, hopefully without it getting any worse.

QUARTER SEASON REPORT
Well after 4 games this team has done better than I had hoped they would. At 3-1 they are already half way to the 6 wins that I predicted for this team. We are tied for first in the division, and fans are starting to get excited about this team. Playoff dreams are floating in the air. However the realists in the national media are pointing out that so far we have had a cupcake schedule. The only team that we have played with more than one win so far is LA, and they walked all over us. Our power rating is just a paltry 68

As for Nixon, the fans here are starting to love this guy. He is second in the league with 509 yards, and tied for first with 5 TDs. He is also second in the league with 125 carries, and he has a very respectable 4.0 yard average. Another stat that is important to note is that he has no fumbles. As you may recall that was one of my scout’s biggest concerns about Nixon, and so far he has shown those concerns to be baseless. Now I know that it is a little early to be thinking this way, but if he is able to keep up this pace he can break 2000 yards and 20 TDs. Of course we have yet to face a good run stopping team.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote