View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 12:01 PM   #6
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

I don’t have any players that I feel should be franchised, and the ticket prices are about were I like them, just a bit below the median price. This team hasn’t had a profit since 2010, and attendance has dropped 20,000 since then. I don’t want to do anything that would drive any more fans away.

As I head into free agency, I know that there are going to have to be many cuts made. We are 1.7 million over the cap, and that doesn’t even count our draft signings. The tough choices are made as we trim our rosters down to just 22 players, with 15.5 million free in cap room.

As I head into the free agent signing period, I have one main focus…run blockers. If Nixon is going to have a hall of fame career he will need to have a solid group of linemen, TEs and a great FB to make his holes. Our starting RG, C, and LT look solid. We will be looking for another guard and tackle as well as a stud FB and TE.

I find a solid LG in Kyle Conklin, an 8 year vet who spent last season with the Cardinals. My only concern is that he missed a significant portion of last season with an injury. It is the first major injury of his career, so hopefully he hasn’t become prone to injury. I offer him $13.86 million for 4 years.

At RT I am not particularly thrilled with any of my available options. I do offer a $4.9 million, three year contract, for a fading former all-pro, 13 year vet, Scottie Fisher who should still have a couple of decent years left in him.

I find a stud TE in Brad McKenzie who is one of the best run blocking TEs in the game, as well as being a solid receiver as well. It will be a nice bonus to have a TE who can be effective in the passing game.

Myron Barns is just a 53 rated FB, but as run blocker he is rated at 92, just the kind of FB that I want. I am certain that I can sign him cheaply as well.

I am able to go through and pick up each of these guys during the main free agency period, but after signing them up I find myself in a bit of a quandary. With nearly 20% of my teams salary lost to dead space from cuts made last year, my hands are tied in trying to fill the rest of the holes. I decide to wait until after the draft to fill them, hopefully I can find some cheaply. The draft is pretty uneventful, as there are few decent run supporters for me to draft. I do find a center in the 6th round who looks like he might be a steal if he can develop quickly enough.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote