View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 01:45 AM   #5
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

So I get to work building my team. I start with the staff. My defensive coordinator and scout were no longer under contract, while my Head Coach and OC each had two years left. My first task is to find a defensive coordinator for the team. Because so much of our offence will be based upon the performance of such and unproven player, we will need a solid defense to keep the game close. Last year’s DC was Jeremy Kramer, and he frankly is a solid coach. His only weakness is with kickers. I am determined to keep Kramer on staff, I offer Kramer the $3.9 million that he was asking for. It is a generous offer but well worth it in my opinion. If he accepts the deal it would make him the third highest paid DC in the league.

I then take a look at OC. Britt Wayne is a decent, though not great coach. His biggest weakness however is RBs. As that is going to need to be my strength, I feel I have no choice but to let him go. I set my sights instead on the best offensive coordinator that I have ever seen in my time playing this game, Clarence Givens. He is listed as “Excellent” with QBs, RBs, WRs, OL, and K/P. For young talent he is listed as “Very Good”. Givens is asking for 4.1 million, but I expect others to offer even more. Because I feel that Givens is critical to Nixon’s success, I put out an offer that I think will not be refused. $5.8 million

My current head coach should be a solid coach, but he has two things going against him. One, he has just never proven himself to be a winner. I am not sure what it is about him that just doesn’t bring his teams victory. In 19 seasons in the league he has only been to the post season twice. Secondly he is the second highest paid coach in the league. I am sorry but I am now willing to spend $9 million on a coach that loses nearly twice as often as he wins. I just think that we can find someone who can do just as good of a job for a couple million less. I find a young coach, Brett Rhodes who I believe will be able to do a phenomenal job. Has just 3 year experience, coaching the Monroe Jets. His record of 18-32 isn’t good, but he did have to some post season success, reaching the AFC title game. And his price is much more reasonable.

In looking for a scout there are two things that are crucial. One is young talent. To succeed one must have a good idea who to draft and who to skip. Secondly I need a scout that can evaluate OL. If Nixon is going to have any chance at making it to the hall of fame he is going to need a superb line blocking for him. I think that I have my man in Lincoln Perkins. His weakness is RBs, but that is OK because I already know who my RB is going to be. I also should have a leg up on bringing Perkins to town because he was my scout last season in LA. I offer a fat $700,000 contract; a deal that would make him the 4th highest paid scout in the league

While it was expensive, I was able to get all the staff that I wanted. A bidding war erupted for Givens and I wound up paying him almost $7 million for 5 years. It’s a good thing that Mr. Carter has money to spend, because it is going to cost him a lot to get his brother-in-law into the Hall of Fame.

Last edited by stkelly52 : 10-01-2004 at 01:49 AM.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote