View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 03:03 PM   #128
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Jets Extend Pennington's Contract

Posted on Thu, Mar. 18, 2004

Jets Extend Pennington's Contract

Jets QB Pennington signs extension By BARRY WILNER Associated Press

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Chad Pennington agreed to a $19 million, five-year contract extension with the New York Jets on Wednesday that includes $6 million in guaranteed money. A source familiar with the negotiations, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The Associated Press that Pennington will average $3.7million a year.

Pennington had set a deadline of the end of the preseason, for a new deal to be finalized. He did not want negotiations to stretch into the season, nor did the Jets, who didn't want to chance losing him as a free agent.

Pennington, the 18th overall pick in the 2000 draft, has been the Jets' starter in only 23 games. He comes off an inconsistent season that saw him lose the first seven games, but in 2002 he replaced Vinny Testaverde as the starter a month into the schedule and led the Jets to the AFC East title. He also led the NFL in passing efficiency that season with a 104.2 rating, 3,120 yards, 22 touchdowns and just six interceptions.

"You're not looking at a team that thinks, or even knows, we were 6-10 last year," Pennington said. "We've got an element of surprise in us. I don't know what we're capable of, but I know we have a chance. I feel like we have an opportunity to do something. There's a different feeling on and off the field, a different attitude, a different mind-set. There's a different focus, a hunger. There's a new energy about us."

Defensive ends John Abraham and Shaun Ellis and tight end Anthony Becht, all first-round draft picks in 2000 along with Pennington, are in their final contract years. So is running back LaMont Jordan.

Pennington instructed Condon to make the new contract as salary cap friendly as possible."Tom knows how I feel about being a team player so we can keep players," Pennington said.Still, with running back Curtis Martin, center Kevin Mawae and Pennington taking up huge chunks of the salary cap - and with receiver Santana Moss also looking for a new deal - keeping their players will be difficult for the Jets.

Pennington sat for his first two pro seasons behind Testaverde. When the Jets struggled early in the 2002 season, ex-coach Herman Edward turned to Pennington, making "one of the toughest decisions of my career."But Pennington made Edwards look smart as the Jets went from 1-4 and 2-5 to 9-7, then beat Indianapolis in the playoffs before losing at Oakland. Pennington showed tremendous accuracy, poise and leadership.

"Chad has all the characteristics of a true role model," said Coach McGregor. "He has great command and presence on the football field and is a team leader. He has a real passion to play football and is a quality person."Jets fans need to know one thing about Chad Pennington; he'll do whatever it takes to lead this team to a championship."

Added Martin:"That's what you look for in a quarterback, even a young guy like Chad. You look to see how they lead your team. Chad is a leader."A very rich leader.

Last edited by mmarra82 : 09-17-2004 at 03:03 PM.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote