View Single Post
Old 09-16-2004, 07:31 AM   #287
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Benton finally heard the rustling of bushes, as he turned to protect the campsite, he wasn’t surprised to see Mavirr approaching, but he was surprised to see how close Mavirr had gotten. Benton thought “this bard can move quickly and quietly, if only I could trust his decision making”.

Mavirr ran right up to Benton and said:

"Hello friend!" He looked around and saw that everyone was awake, then grinned.

"My recorder playing worked! But do not be too alarmed friends. There is no one behind me." He grinned at Benton, then noticed Soriun getting ready.

Benton began to grit his teeth, thinking the Bard had taken it upon himself to test the group. The potential for this was something Benton feared, and he was concerned about the party’s reaction to the Bard’s stunt. Benton thought “How am I going to maintain the peace and smooth this one over? I must find a way, because Mavirr will be needed at some point in the future, and I can’t have his skills and usefulness dismissed based on a single stupid act.”

Benton was so concerned with the others reactions he didn’t hear the beginning of Mavirr’s second comment but he did catch the

“…I heard something to the east of the camp. And since I was located to the southwest, I decided to run back to the south entrance of the campsite to just report back with what I heard."

Now Benton was more interested in the facts, and less concerned about the disturbance.

Mavirr continued:

"Let me explain first! I heard a slight metallic sound, like that of chain mail, or a sword. I think this is cause enough for alarm. You can never be too careful!" He grinned for an unprecedented third time, this time he looked at everyone in turn.

"I think someone should go out and see what it is, in case it's a petty pilferer." Mavirr looked around at the other heroes, with a somewhat serious expression on his face.

Benton considered this new information. He frowned as he looked at the remaining 3 members. Benton rushed back into camp urging the Bard to follow. He looked at Sourin and said, “Help me douse the fire. If this is turns out to be no threat we can always restart it, but I’d rather not have our exact location illuminated.” As he approached the fire he used his shield to scoop up some soft dirt, which he dropped on the flames.

(I’m going to assume the fire is out)

Looking to Baldar and Sourin, Benton says, “I don’t know if you could hear Mavirr from where you were standing, but apparently he heard a metallic sound to the east of camp, and decided to warn us. I’m going to assume if Mavirr heard this sound even though he was Southwest of the campsite, Kevan did as well. I’m also going to assume Kevan will be able to use his speed to investigate and intercept anything before we would be able to locate it. Hopefully, Puli has heard a subsequent sound that will allow him to focus in on the location too.

I know you would probably rather be on the offense and hunt down the intruders, so would I, but I don’t want all of us getting separated and wondering around in the bushes. Whatever or whoever we’re up against probably has a better knowledge of the area than we do, and I think hunting the sound leaves each of us vulnerable to an ambush style attack. We should look for strategic hiding places just outside of the campsite, keeping an ear open for sounds of approaching danger. When we can zero in on the location of the threat, we can then take the offensive.

Benton turns to Mavirr and takes a deep breath, “Because we don’t know where Kevan and Puli are, and we can’t be sure either of them is aware of the threat to the east, I want you to head out and investigate. I just need you to assess the situation. You may have heard only 1 metallic sound, but that doesn’t mean it’s just 1 person approaching. If you can, listen out for Puli and Kevan as well. I’d prefer you try to join them, so no-one is isolated.”

Benton states in a tone only slightly less stern than a parent scolding a child, “Don’t do anything stupid.”

“We are here to help. If you find yourself in a situation that requires us to come to your aid, or you see Kevan and Puli are in a situation needing aid, blow your recorder 2 times. Assuming you can safely do it, continue to make the sound every 30 seconds or so. This will allow us to find you quicker.”

“If you have found something and are heading back to report blow your recorder 1 time, wait about 30 seconds and repeat the note. If you are fleeing back to our location blow the recorder 3 times to alert us. Then run for all you are worth. We’ll be waiting to jump your pursuers.”

With that Benton extends his hand to the Bard

He also turns to Sourin, “Good Priest, do you have a prayer for protection that you could place on the Bard?”

Last edited by Breeze : 09-16-2004 at 07:33 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote