View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 02:30 PM   #216
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Excellent stuff, guys. Way to pick it up. And JAG gets 100 extra experience points for the use of the terms “roiling” and “Wignanty Bushes.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Content that the various deployments of the group gave the intended impression, Puli slipped away back down the route they had come. As he moved slowly from point to point, blending with the various features and lay of the land, his mind transported him back to his native Cross-Kir, and the joys of moving silently through the jagged gorges near his home. When he stopped, patiently sinking into stillness, his eyes would return to the position of the observer.

From a distance, it was evident that this human was one familiar with the surroundings, skirting from position to position with the ease of a native. Clearly, whomever they were, they were intent on maintaining a vigil, but after awhile Puli began to surmise that the intruder was acting alone. Then, to the monk’s surprise, the observer made a relatively-brazen move to get one final, closer look, and then moved swiftly off to the east and eventually disappeared.

After an appropriate period of delay, Puli returned to the encampment. The fire that was already going suggested one possibility: that the observer was convinced the quest party was staying put for awhile. With that in mind, the old Kir moved toward the wemic, catching the gaze of the paladin as well and gesturing for a conference. With a look of moderate interest at the ranger’s knife-work on the boar, Puli spoke,

“Kevan…I have observed our follower for some time. I believe it to be a human, and that he – I have come to think of it as a ‘he’ although I cannot confirm that – is acting alone as a scout of some kind. He moves with the familiarity and mannerisms of a native, and is clothed in a way so as to blend in with his surroundings. I believe he verified our intent to encamp here, and then withdrew promptly to the east. I saw no other indications of pursuit.”

At that, the monk sat down, and awaited the comments of his comrades.