View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 07:20 PM   #30
Co-D'ohs
H.S. Freshman Team

Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz:

Week 9
We do get some good news from last week’s debacle. Starting DE Wendell Goodwin goes out for 28 weeks with a high ankle sprain. This is our biggest injury to date! The coaching staff celebrates with a shot of tequila.

Report card time once again. Let’s see how the team is responding to our time management strategy. We’re hoping for improvement over last quarter, where we only had one student failing a class. Now that the season has moved along, there should be more late homework assignments, missed tests, etc. We take a look…

Only two students failing! One of them is freshman Ryan Butler, a talented freshman, so that is nice to see. But the other is just a senior backup QB. How useless is that? Well, at least he may not get a degree. If things go right here, I intend to be supplying McDonald’s with lots of Notre Dame dropouts, and backup QB Julio Kiluk could be the first. He was so close too. Just one more year to go. Ok, I feel a little better now.

Ok, I’ve got to start using up some of those 42 blocks of time management I’ve got available. The least effective strategy I can think of is to give them to seniors who are going to pass anyway, so I assign about half of the blocks to these lucky few. Sorry all you dummies with D’s; figure out your homework on your own. You’re not in grade school anymore.

Recruiting
No one new! What does it take to get these guys? I wonder if I should go bribe Brock Gray? Is he honest? He’s probably too dumb to know what a bribe is. I’ll take a chance…

Brock. Meet Candy. She’s a friend of mine who’s a little bored, and we just learned that you have a birthday this year, so we thought the two of you could spend some time together…

He accepts! Way to go Gray! Don’t expect any of that next year.

I use all of my phone calls and visits on Brock too. Basically I am showering him with love. He is crucial to our plans for next year. We now have visited him 23 times and called him 24. Is there a limit to the usefulness of this?

Game 7
Pregame
Ok, we need some success on the field. Two wins in a row has got the coaching staff down. We have now risen to #16 and play unranked Southern Cal. Don’t think this is going to be the week. This year is turning out to be the test of wills I thought it might be. Have to keep believing, have to keep believing, have to keep believing…

Result
Who says God is dead? In what has to be our best team performance to date, we rise to the occasion and get killed by unranked Southern Cal 42-21! There aren’t enough superlatives to describe the effort we put out there today. This game alone has enough material for our whole year’s highlight film. The nice thing about this game is that our points were useless tack on points in the 4th quarter. We were down 35-0 at the end of the third quarter! Some poignant stats: RB Floyd (31 yards on 10 carries, a key fumble to kill our long opening drive), QB Dawkins (5-13, 2 interceptions, one of these for a TD), OT Bensen (3 sacks allowed), P Stephens (7 punts for a 29.1 avg, also a key 15-yard punt from our own three that Southern Cal returned to our 6-yard-line). When there are this many stars you just have to give the team ball to the team leader, in this case QB Dawkins gets the Alf Game Ball for his brilliant performance. His first interception killed a drive early in the game, and his second, returned for a TD to ice the game at 28-0, finished us off. Way to go Dawk!

Smiling faces once again abound as we get the badly needed defeat. Things are looking up again.

Record 4-3
Co-D'ohs is offline   Reply With Quote