View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 07:16 PM   #25
Co-D'ohs
H.S. Freshman Team

Originally posted by Godzilla Blitz:

Week 4
First, the results of the contest. Pretty easy to see Mr. Stephens has the moral majority. Let’s take care of him first.

Mr. Stephens, could I talk to you for a minute? How do you feel about punting? Har! And here’s the #13 shirt while you’re at it. There you go. Little small for you? Try washing it. Giggle giggle.

The new and improved P Don Stephens:
Kicking power: 0/0
Punts Returned: 0/0
Punts Inside Twenty: 0/0

Ew! That’s gotta hurt. Too bad for Mr. Stephens. I guess he was a better linebacker. Oh well. His scout ratings are still high (83/84), but my guess is it will take him about 7 years to develop into a good punter. By that time he should be married, with kids, working as a burger flipper at McDonalds. You weren’t thinking about going pro, were you Don? Har!

There, don’t we all feel better now? Great choice guys!

And for even more good news, you remember that QB, Butch Landdeck, that we made into a ILB? Well, looks like he didn’t make the transition all that well, as he got hurt in his first game. Too bad there, Butch, we feel terrible. Out 7 weeks with a severe wrist sprain. Well, at least he claims it happened during the game. I wonder if the lack of a girlfriend and free time has led Butch to ignore his Pope’s admonition on spilling the sacred secretion. Severe wrist sprain sounds a bit suspicious to me. If we start getting a high number of groin pulls I’ll be even more skeptical of what’s happening during the 10% free time the guys have got. All in all I’d say we are doing pretty well. The seeds of destruction are starting to sprout. He he.

Lastly, we get an email that Isaac Keck, a solid junior TE, wants a scholarship. This is a tricky call. Let me think. How about no? Pay your tuition just like all the other walkons there, Isaac. And wipe that smile of your face.

Recruiting
Not much movement, but we get one one of our perfect zeros to come visit, DT Jimmy Jamison from Gas City, IN, will be making the rounds at some point in the future. Gas City? This place really exists? Would you admit you came from there? I immediately offer him a bribe, and…he accepts. Damn all these corrupt high school kids. Where can a coach find an honest kid? Still no movement from Brock Gray, our Rudy candidate. I’m sure it takes him a loooong while to make up his mind.

Otherwise, I find some nice, dumb, safeties and a couple of zero quarterback candidates and add them to the list. I want to make sure I have a nice balance of positions so that I avoid walkons. While they would be nice now, they could really screw things up later in our adventure.

Game 2
Pregame
We’re two-point favorites and ranked #6 going into this game with 0-1 Purdue (don’t they make chickens?). Time to bite the bullet. It will only hurt for a while. Bear with us, all of you out there watching at home, as this first year of the rebuilding process will have quite a bit of pain. My guess is this will be another hurt.

The Result
Score one for the good guys! Purdue 34, Notre Dame 28! We lost! The defense looked notably weaker without Stephens in there plugging up the middle! Whew! That should take away the threat of a national title! There is hope! And get this. The computer seems to select the starters based on overall potential, so guess who got to punt? That’s right! Your friend and mine, Mr. Stephens! Here’s how he did:

3 punts, 97 yards, 32.2 avg., longest 39.

Actually, not that bad for a stud linebacker, but markedly worse than our real punter. Hopefully he will go even further downhill as the year moves on.

But the coaching staff is delirious! Things were nip and tuck there for a while; we were tied at the half at 13. But Purdue managed to put in two TD’s in the 3rd quarter to pick up a lead we could not overcome. What a great day. Let’s all sing that Notre Dame fight song together!

And next week we get our first grade reports. Yes, things are looking up! But the road is still a long one. We have to stay focused on the task. #124 is not good enough. We are looking for total perfection, and will settle for nothing less. Have to beware against getting lackadaisical.
Co-D'ohs is offline   Reply With Quote